Where is the fglrx documentation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Of course a xorg.conf with less options is more easy to handle, but what to do when you really NEED extra options like Modelines for res 1152x864@100Hz or 1280x960@85Hz because a CRT never reports those special but very usefull res. Every other driver handles this, but when you try this with fglrx and Xorg 7.1.1 -> Xorg crash. Also your amdcccle is crap, it allows setting of 1152x864 at 100 hz but it is really 75 hz when you check it. For basic settings like res and refreshrate no 3rd party tool should be used - be standard conform and accept the options every other driver knows. For your special cases you can use whatever config tool, but don't forget that there are still users without TFT monitors and CRT users like to use non standard res.
    Do you have any formal information on this issue? There is no way that we can determine where things are going wrong. ati.cchtml.com would be a great place to put that.

Also note that under Windows, NEEDing extra modes involves installing thirdparty apps like powerstrip. Under Windows you either get the modes that are supplied by the EDID, or you need to install a monitor driver. Under Linux there is no option for a monitor driver beyond users adding modelines.

Although your modes are non-standard, if you can lodge a fully described bug in bugzilla, it allows people to understand where the issue will be.

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

Windows adds those modes by default - these are non VESA res, but they are already selectable. I absolutely don't understand why you need "bugzilla" when no developer ever posts there. When you look over to nvidia - they put a link to

directly on the left of the download pages

and developers answer directly there (marked as NVIDIA developers). I don't think that repeating me on differnet places is needed. I create live cds - therefore creating a live environment for testing ATI bugs is realatively easy for me. If you want to try that let me know.

Comment

A developer doesn't need to post there for information to be available. If you have concerns with a particular set of modelines that don't work or cause problems (and seem to be the only one who has major issues with them) - document it.

We don't need to post to monitor and be aware of what is going on. People don't always operate overtly.

I would expect that 5 minutes putting a canonical reference to your problem in the bugzilla would be far better time spent than 10's of posts refering to one or two issues that you have in forums.

Comment

Kanotix adds lots of modemlines by default, but any of those crashes the xserver.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Kanotix adds lots of modemlines by default, but any of those crashes the xserver.
            In lieu of putting something on ati.cchtml.com - just run a atigetsysteminfo.sh and post it here. (Although as I mentioned a single canonical reference saves keystrokes since you can say "Modeline bug as per bug 1201 here").

Comment

Working...
            X