• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Where I need to to put this?
    This may be useful to you when using source engine based games

Or SS3

Last edited by DDF420; 23 March 2013, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Nice! Thank you!

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Here I tested 3 cards with all Killing Floor renderes on Highest. Pretty interesting I would say...

I recorded some simple demos (could add others or replace em if needed) and made a little script to select em. It always uses the default res (can only parse 1 monitor) and writes that into the default config. In the comments you see what to change if you want to use your standard settings instead. I used 1 level with nvidia rendering bugs, 1 normal speed one, 2 with speed problems.

Of course I used KDE 4.8 with Kanotix.
          It seems this game isn't optimized for Linux. We'll see how L4D2 will perform.

Comment

Originally posted by j2723 View Post
            Michael, could you do similar benchmarks for other Distributions? Would be interesting...
            Goal! Unfortunately, Phoronix use only Ubuntu with all of its package dependences and not pure neccessary processes. Try use light distros like Archlinux, Debian or Gentoo and light WM/DE in comparison with complex distros like Fedora, OpenSuse, Mandriva, Mageia, (some)Ubuntu etc. I insist on that light distros wit light WM/DE can run more quickly than full Ubuntu installation. Why? Compare system load and communication with HW an you will see. You may also compile a special testing distro with minimum of GUI (apps and frontends needed only) to get "net" results.
            Last edited by pjezek; 31 March 2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pjezek View Post
              Goal! Unfortunately, Phoronix use only Ubuntu with all of its package dependences and not pure neccessary processes. Try use light distros like Archlinux, Debian or Gentoo and light WM/DE in comparison with complex distros like Fedora, OpenSuse, Mandriva, Mageia, (some)Ubuntu etc. I insist on that light distros wit light WM/DE can run more quickly than full Ubuntu installation. Why? Compare system load and communication with HW an you will see. You may also compile a special testing distro with minimum of GUI (apps and frontends needed only) to get "net" results.
              The issue here is open vs closed driver performances. Comparison of stock ubuntu with stock windows 8 seems fair, specially for most users. Comparisons of unity with lights WM/DE (Xfce, LDXE, OpenBox...) are available at phoronix and they do not run quickly. The same as a comparison of ubuntu to Archlinux: Arch speed advantages are minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by juanrga View Post
                The issue here is open vs closed driver performances. Comparison of stock ubuntu with stock windows 8 seems fair, specially for most users. Comparisons of unity with lights WM/DE (Xfce, LDXE, OpenBox...) are available at phoronix and they do not run quickly. The same as a comparison of ubuntu to Archlinux: Arch speed advantages are minimal.
                Yup - exactly. I just moved from Kubuntu 13.04 to Arch. Yes, the desktop feels snappier, but performance in games is almost identical. I even tried w/ Xfce4 first before loading KDE. No difference really between distros or window managers.

That being said, I do like Arch, and plan to keep it on this machine long term for other reasons, but *not* for better performance in games.

Comment

I can not believe this that windows 8 doing better but heard lot about this kind of stuff

Comment

Originally posted by jaysonrowe View Post
                    Yup - exactly. I just moved from Kubuntu 13.04 to Arch. Yes, the desktop feels snappier, but performance in games is almost identical. I even tried w/ Xfce4 first before loading KDE. No difference really between distros or window managers.

That being said, I do like Arch, and plan to keep it on this machine long term for other reasons, but *not* for better performance in games.
                    I was just ready to install Arch, the installation guide is still on my desk, but finally I decided not to do it after I checked some additional facts such as the issue of the speed. Actually I find no reason to switch to Arch. Could I ask you what reasons are guiding you to keep it? if this is not a too personal question of course.

Comment

I can't speak for him, but my reasons for using Arch are that it is a rolling release, it has the flexibility of the AUR, and the fact it allows me to know every single package I put on my computer. So it is mostly for Linux control freaks.

Comment

Working...
                      X