Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C++ Doesn't Change The Speed Of GCC

Phoronix: C++ Doesn't Change The Speed Of GCC

With GCC 4.8 using C++ as its implementation language of the compiler, some have questioned whether the compiler is as fast as when written in C. Here's some benchmarks showing C vs. C++ performance with GCC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The switch to c++ wasn't about immediate speed benefits though. It was about cleaning up code and not reinventing the wheel with ideas and design because c++ had them and plain c didn't. So the fact they are even bringing this topic UP...is moot
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      The switch to c++ wasn't about immediate speed benefits though. It was about cleaning up code and not reinventing the wheel with ideas and design because c++ had them and plain c didn't. So the fact they are even bringing this topic UP...is moot
      A lot of people (read: idiots) thought that using C++ would make GCC slower, and hence that it should be avoided.

It's like the people here who claim all that matters is the speed of compiled binaries, which as a (game) developer is one of the last things on my mind, but people perpetrate myths about what the purpose of a compiler is. A compiler is a tool, and the easier it is to use that tool, the better it is.

Comment

C++ isn't inherently slower than C. Especially with C code compiled as c++ using a few token C++ features. The fun starts when C++ is used to overengineer a piece of software, not unlike most Java code I've seen. That's not the language's fault but a problem with the coder. C just doesn't scale quite as easily.

Comment

Where exactly is the c++ implementation? I downloaded 4.8 and I still see only .c files, except ofcource libstdc++ and libjava.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
            Where exactly is the c++ implementation? I downloaded 4.8 and I still see only .c files, except ofcource libstdc++ and libjava.
            "C++ implementation" may be misleading. What actually happens is that now GCC code base can be compiled using C++ compiler and new functionalities can be implemented using approved C++ features, as well as some code clean up. So there are still lots of C code, which won't be changing unless necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by manphiz View Post
              "C++ implementation" may be misleading. What actually happens is that now GCC code base can be compiled using C++ compiler and new functionalities can be implemented using approved C++ features, as well as some code clean up. So there are still lots of C code, which won't be changing unless necessary.
              Which also renders the blog referenced in this news moot: Migrating to C++ for implementation is not about immediate improvement, but long term benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                gcc/hash_table.* for instance already uses C++. Not every abstraction that GCC uses (which essentially emulates C++ via C) will be converted to C++ native equivalents but a significant number of them might be.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                  A lot of people (read: idiots) thought that using C++ would make GCC slower, and hence that it should be avoided.
                  However, it will make compilation of GCC itself slower.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                    However, it will make compilation of GCC itself slower.
                    The article itself says not.

Comment

Working...
                    X