Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to update ECS Z77H2-A2X firmware without windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to update ECS Z77H2-A2X firmware without windows?

Michael Larabel's article gave this motherboard high marks. I always research hardware on Linux before buying.

And it performed quite well using arch Linux for about a week, then began allowing me to boot ONLY AFTER I log into BIOS. No change in BIOS is needed, just enter BIOS/exit BIOS, and boot continues successfully.

ECS support of course only supports windows, but a tech did helpfully suggest I install windows to see if the boot problem occurred.

ECS only supplies windows-based firmware upgrade utilities. There is not even a dos-based exe. My request as to whether they might supply a raw BIOS image was ignored.

Does anyone know of any way to perform firmware upgrade on an ECS Z77H2-A2X without having to buy some really overpriced utility (i.e., Windows 7 or 8)?

[solved] How to update ECS Z77H2-A2X firmware without windows?

Based on a tip, I used the CMOS jumper to clear the CMOS, reset default settings, reapplied BIOS settings for my machine particulars, and voila! the machine now boots normally. No BIOS update was needed.

/dennis

Comment

I think you enabled vt-d and you use intel onboard gfx. That does not work. Btw. i looked at the ecs webpage and everybody who can read will see that it is possible to update the firmware with a dos tool. Even i wrote a tool to put freedos on an usb key and i am sure you find others as well. From the update procedure i would not recommend ecs, when you know that asrock has builtin internet access and can download the latest update automatically when it gets internet via a dhcp request then i prefer that solution.

The zip archive for the bios update contains this tool as well even when it is in the Win8 section. Better download it before you cry loud!

Comment

Working...
      X