Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Collaborates With Chinese For Ubuntu Kylin

Phoronix: Canonical Collaborates With Chinese For Ubuntu Kylin

For those that didn't hear already, Canonical is collaborating with the Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (the Chinese government) to develop Kylin, a new Chinese operating system based upon Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Didn't the Chinese decide to go for the MIPS architecture for the millions of computers they want to build for their schools? Is there a MIPS port of Ubuntu already?

Comment

I don't think the mips idea worked out very well. Last I heard anything about it (its been a while) performance was terrible and they couldn't get it high enough to be very useful.

Comment

Wow, that's a lot of potential users that could end up using Ubuntu. Is Ubuntu proper the most used Ubuntu variant. I don't know why but I always thought that Kubuntu was the most popular one, if that is true did Unity change that?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
          Didn't the Chinese decide to go for the MIPS architecture for the millions of computers they want to build for their schools? Is there a MIPS port of Ubuntu already?
          There were MIPS devices with the Loongson SoC released, however they aren't that popular for a couple of reasons including:
          - Price
          - Speed (even though Loongson3 was supposed to close the gap greatly)
          - Delay in releasing Loongson3

For the FOSS niche market, there was also the fact that Trisquel raised with Loongson3 using an ATI video chipset instead of the SiS found in Loongson2.
          From what they've said, it means that they would have to ship a firmware blob to get video output. There was also an issue with the WiFi chipset in the same category.

Comment

Hope it happens something real

I've read before about collaborations with governments and it often feels more like talk and nothing real being done.
            Reality seems to be that most Chinese just run pirated Windows XP instead.

Also, I hope it is not just a one-way collaboration, I hope the the collaboration leads to the Chinese committing patches upstream and improving upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
              Wow, that's a lot of potential users that could end up using Ubuntu. Is Ubuntu proper the most used Ubuntu variant. I don't know why but I always thought that Kubuntu was the most popular one, if that is true did Unity change that?
              Kubuntu gained some traction because of Brazil rollout but that's it. Ubuntu has always been the primary distribution both for Canonical and end users.

Comment

kali linux is china's official distro

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                  kali linux is china's official distro
                  Just hating? Or do you have plans to elaborate this statement?

Comment

Working...
                  X