Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
    id/apogee? Isnt it 3d Realms?
    Apogee is the legal name for 3D Realms and it was known as that before 1994. I don't think ID was involved though, they developed Commander Keen, which Apogee published, but Duke was done entirely by Apogee.
    Last edited by Chewi; 22 March 2013, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
      Apogee is the legal name for 3D Realms and it was known as that before 1994. I don't think ID was involved though, they developed Commander Keen, which Apogee published, but Duke was done entirely by Apogee.
      Yes I'm aware apogee was involved, I remember playing the games when they came out. I wasn't very clear with my post. I was questioning the I'd part.

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
        Yes I'm aware apogee was involved, I remember playing the games when they came out. I wasn't very clear with my post. I was questioning the I'd part.
        ID was not involved in any of the Duke Nukem games.

Comment

This will definitely help Linux gaming. Especially if the quality of the updated OpenGL version is better than the old VESA (super sharp high-resolution) graphics mode that the original had. I can't wait to play it!

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            Ironically the eduke32 Gentoo ebuild bug report has been seeing a lot of activity this past week and I think it may hit the Portage tree very soon. I think it looks better than this new port.
            Unless you want the Steamworks integration or desperately need the data, you might as well buy it from gog, or even better, the 3D Realms web-store directly and put it into EDuke32. I grabbed it off of the AUR on my Arch system and it is running beautifully and cleanly, and I do not need to worry about DRM. Of course for those who don't care you could hedge your bets and setup both.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              When will I be able to get the old school Duke Nukem 2D games?
              I have an unused boxed Duke Nukem 2 on my shelf.

Comment

Actually Id was involved in the First trilogy you'll note a "Special Thanks to Id Software" in the Credits section, Duke Nukem 2 might have been all appogee (the credits don't give much in that regard) but Duke Nukem 3D was done by John Carmack, and Duke Nukem Forever didn't come out (I don't consider Gearbox's thing to be DNF) because Carmack went perfectionist on it, which caused the collapse of both Id and Appogee/3D Realms, and Id subsequently being bought out by Bethseda. It's also worth noting that in practice Id, Appogee and 3D Realms all refer to what is essentially the same group of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  Actually Id was involved in the First trilogy you'll note a "Special Thanks to Id Software" in the Credits section, Duke Nukem 2 might have been all appogee (the credits don't give much in that regard) but Duke Nukem 3D was done by John Carmack, and Duke Nukem Forever didn't come out (I don't consider Gearbox's thing to be DNF) because Carmack went perfectionist on it, which caused the collapse of both Id and Appogee/3D Realms, and Id subsequently being bought out by Bethseda. It's also worth noting that in practice Id, Appogee and 3D Realms all refer to what is essentially the same group of people.
                  Can't tell if trolling or serious, but your post looks serious, so I will reply.

Either way, almost everything in your post is wrong. DN3D used the Build engine, an entirely different game engine from id's Doom and Quake engines. Apogee and 3D Realms are indeed the same company in practice, but id Software is an entirely different one. While 3DR was "working" on DNF, John Carmack and the rest of id Software were hard at work releasing actual games.

The only connection between id and Apogee is that Apogee published id's Commander Keen. They were going to publish Doom, but during the negotiations it was decided that Apogee wouldn't publish Doom or any more id games. The connection between the two ends there.

The only other possible reason to get them mixed up is that they are located physically nearby - id Software is in Dallas and Apogee/3D Realms is in the Dallas suburb of Garland. But there are a lot of game companies in Dallas, so that shouldn't even count.

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
                    Can't tell if trolling or serious, but your post looks serious, so I will reply.

Either way, almost everything in your post is wrong. DN3D used the Build engine, an entirely different game engine from id's Doom and Quake engines. Apogee and 3D Realms are indeed the same company in practice, but id Software is an entirely different one. While 3DR was "working" on DNF, John Carmack and the rest of id Software were hard at work releasing actual games.

The only connection between id and Apogee is that Apogee published id's Commander Keen. They were going to publish Doom, but during the negotiations it was decided that Apogee wouldn't publish Doom or any more id games. The connection between the two ends there.

The only other possible reason to get them mixed up is that they are located physically nearby - id Software is in Dallas and Apogee/3D Realms is in the Dallas suburb of Garland. But there are a lot of game companies in Dallas, so that shouldn't even count.
                    Thank You, I was just looking into his post because it smelled of BS. Ken Silverman wrote build as far as I know. As far as duke nukem 1 thanking ID, that was probably for some help with side scrolling which if anyone read "Masters of Doom" would know that it was very hard to do on the PC until they figured out how to recreate the first mario level and then subsequently Commander Keen.

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post

OT: Sorry if I double posted but for some reason its not letting me post my comment.

Thank You, I was just looking into his post because it smelled of BS. Ken Silverman wrote build as far as I know. As far as duke nukem 1 thanking ID, that was probably for some help with side scrolling which if anyone read "Masters of Doom" would know that it was very hard to do on the PC until they figured out how to recreate the first mario level and then subsequently Commander Keen.

Comment

Working...
                      X