Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Is Getting Ported To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
    The engine is GPL and the best project spanned from it is EDuke32, it's gl reder was actually made by the original programmer, there is also a lot of other improvements and fixes so go get that if already have a copy of the game.
    This is not completely correct.

Eduke32 comprises the gameplay engine released in 2003 by 3DRealms under the GPL, and BUILD, the 2.5D graphics engine developed by Ken Silverman. Sources for BUILD are available, it's not open source, but has a crippled license, there is also this FAQ on its page:

Why did you write a custom license instead of using GPL (GNU's General Public License)?
    Short answer: to satisfy my ego Long answer: I know GPL is an industry standard, but I felt that it was way too long and boring for anyone to read seriously. I chose to write a nice short license that everybody could understand. This way, people unfamiliar with GPL would understand their rights.
    Clearly noone explained him the power of free software, this engine could be much more popular if under GPL like the id's ones rather the its crippled license.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      Or maybe there's been a glitch in the Matrix... an option I'm seriously considering right now because there's a lot of stuff related that was related to DNF development (and not having anything to do with engine development) but examples like I pointed out that are just gone that I distinctly remember talking about him in regards to it, including remembering him being in the game credits of D3D, although when I look now at admittedly a different version of the game he's not there. So I'm thoroughly confused at this point.
      I don't normally don't respond to such obvious BS as Luke_Wolf's earlier post, but I had to make an exception and create an account for this. As others have already pointed out, the original post is full of complete fiction. It actually amazed me that you could have gotten so many historical facts so wrong. While it is an interesting story you weave, it is also factually incorrect in almost every aspect. I understand that human memory can sometimes lead us astray, however, it would have taken about 15 minutes with google to fact check the worst offences in this post. I mean really, can you not be bothered before spreading such ignorance? Personally, it angers me when people spread ignorance, either due to willful ignoring facts or to being too lazy to educate themselves.

Comment

BREAKING NEWS:

A 18 year old game is being ported to linux

=

5 page thread

only in linux

Comment

Working...
        X