Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Is Getting Ported To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
    Can't tell if trolling or serious, but your post looks serious, so I will reply.

Either way, almost everything in your post is wrong. DN3D used the Build engine, an entirely different game engine from id's Doom and Quake engines. Apogee and 3D Realms are indeed the same company in practice, but id Software is an entirely different one. While 3DR was "working" on DNF, John Carmack and the rest of id Software were hard at work releasing actual games.

The only connection between id and Apogee is that Apogee published id's Commander Keen. They were going to publish Doom, but during the negotiations it was decided that Apogee wouldn't publish Doom or any more id games. The connection between the two ends there.

The only other possible reason to get them mixed up is that they are located physically nearby - id Software is in Dallas and Apogee/3D Realms is in the Dallas suburb of Garland. But there are a lot of game companies in Dallas, so that shouldn't even count.
    I'm quite serious, There was an article up on 3D Realms site a long time ago I'm having difficulty finding where John Carmack was showing off DNF to some game reporter with the guy saying it was the best game he had ever played. Then during the court battles Carmack tried to destroy the game data so that Take-Two couldn't ruin the game which then resulted in a further court battle that ruled in take-two's favor in order to get the related assets intact. Also Carmack was asked after the launch of Gearbox'es DNF what his thoughts were on it to which he replied "No Comment". Of course a lot of stuff I remember reading on said subject has now completely gone missing... Ever have that situation where you know something is some way like say the way a book is written and then when you look again things are completely different or you know things happened a certain way and there was discussion and such along those lines but then sometime in the future everyone is saying something different about it and you're the only one that remembers it that way?

I'm going to have to accede to you on this it looks like but... I could have sworn Carmack was involved in what I laid out above, but it's all gone...

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
      This will definitely help Linux gaming. Especially if the quality of the updated OpenGL version is better than the old VESA (super sharp high-resolution) graphics mode that the original had. I can't wait to play it!
      The engine is GPL and the best project spanned from it is EDuke32, it's gl reder was actually made by the original programmer, there is also a lot of other improvements and fixes so go get that if already have a copy of the game. In fact I would even advice you to use it to run the game if you get the it from steam. Also check out hrp for high resolution content

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
        The only other possible reason to get them mixed up is that they are located physically nearby - id Software is in Dallas and Apogee/3D Realms is in the Dallas suburb of Garland. But there are a lot of game companies in Dallas, so that shouldn't even count.
        Just to offer one more fact check, id is not based in Dallas but Mesquite, which is another suburb of Dallas.

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        I'm quite serious, There was an article up on 3D Realms site a long time ago I'm having difficulty finding where John Carmack was showing off DNF to some game reporter with the guy saying it was the best game he had ever played. Then during the court battles Carmack tried to destroy the game data so that Take-Two couldn't ruin the game which then resulted in a further court battle that ruled in take-two's favor in order to get the related assets intact. Also Carmack was asked after the launch of Gearbox'es DNF what his thoughts were on it to which he replied "No Comment". Of course a lot of stuff I remember reading on said subject has now completely gone missing... Ever have that situation where you know something is some way like say the way a book is written and then when you look again things are completely different or you know things happened a certain way and there was discussion and such along those lines but then sometime in the future everyone is saying something different about it and you're the only one that remembers it that way?
        This is all wrong. I can see Carmark commenting on DNF, but other than the fact it was originally based on the id Tech 2 engine before switching to various versions of Unreal, he had no connection with it. Or even Duke Nukem 3D for that matter. You are either trolling or severely mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          This is all wrong. I can see Carmark commenting on DNF, but other than the fact it was originally based on the id Tech 2 engine before switching to various versions of Unreal, he had no connection with it. Or even Duke Nukem 3D for that matter. You are either trolling or severely mistaken.
          Or maybe there's been a glitch in the Matrix... an option I'm seriously considering right now because there's a lot of stuff related that was related to DNF development (and not having anything to do with engine development) but examples like I pointed out that are just gone that I distinctly remember talking about him in regards to it, including remembering him being in the game credits of D3D, although when I look now at admittedly a different version of the game he's not there. So I'm thoroughly confused at this point.

Comment

Or maybe there's been a glitch in the Matrix... an option I'm seriously considering right now because there's a lot of stuff related that was related to DNF development (and not having anything to do with engine development) but examples like I pointed out that are just gone that I distinctly remember talking about him in regards to it, including remembering him being in the game credits of D3D, although when I look now at admittedly a different version of the game he's not there. So I'm thoroughly confused at this point.
            Human memory is notoriously unreliable. We make up memories and think they are real. For example you might have had a dream about something and later remember it as if it had actually happened. It even gets worse the more time passes - a lot of your childhood memories can be entirely fake ones that you made up. Kind of scary when you think about it.

Comment

There is also some *seriously* wrong information posted, which eventually goes away without a trace (or with a trace in the case of Wikipedia). For a couple of years Wikipedia said that the most popular pizza in Canada was "Punjabi pizza" (I forget the details but it involved a lot of crushed red pepper flakes... when I went back to try it the entry had finally disappeared).

The forums here are getting like that, except the posts never disappear...
              Test signature

Comment

Even if he was listed I would not take being in the final credits of DNF for much - I know for a fact they were very generous with who got listed, and many of the names were as simply common forum goers. I know one or two of them actually...

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                There is also some *seriously* wrong information posted, which eventually goes away without a trace (or with a trace in the case of Wikipedia). For a couple of years Wikipedia said that the most popular pizza in Canada was "Punjabi pizza" (I forget the details but it involved a lot of crushed red pepper flakes... when I went back to try it the entry had finally disappeared).

The forums here are getting like that, except the posts never disappear...
                Yes, but I would not get too hung up on that - what Wikipedia states is probably about 80% to 90% correct in most cases. But there are always going to be exceptions of course.

Comment

Yes, but I would not get too hung up on that - what Wikipedia states is probably about 80% to 90% correct in most cases. But there are always going to be exceptions of course.
                  All sources are like that, you will just have to figure out reality as best you can.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                    All sources are like that, you will just have to figure out reality as best you can.
                    Indeed.

[10 chars]

Comment

Just to offer one more fact check, id is not based in Dallas but Mesquite, which is another suburb of Dallas.
                      Just to offer yet another fact check, they were founded in Mesquite but are now headquatrered in Richardson, another Dallas suburb.

Comment

Working...
                      X