Left 4 Dead 2 Getting Closer To Release On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
    If they are going to release older games, then they need to discount them.
    If you own it for one platform you get it for all with out having to pay extra.

Originally posted by IanS View Post
    Then again, I think Goldsrc was OpenGL based and it was likely a simpler engine than current Source so it could just be that those games made it out first because the ports were easier/quicker.
    It was based on Quake 1/2 (network) it had a build in Soft and GL rendere as well as a DX wrapper for the GL rendere.

Comment

I'd bet that drivers are holding them back. The original note from last summer said it was running faster on Linux than Windows - with Nvidia binary drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if it can't run at all on FLOSS drivers or AMD binaries. None of the Linux games to date have used any of the more advanced features, lighting and shaders that L4D2, Portal 2, CS:GO or DOTA2 use and I wouldn't be surprised if the AMD binaries choke or crash on them.

You could always test this in a couple months by trying to run them with the latest drivers as of today and see if I was right.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
        I'd bet that drivers are holding them back. The original note from last summer said it was running faster on Linux than Windows - with Nvidia binary drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if it can't run at all on FLOSS drivers or AMD binaries. None of the Linux games to date have used any of the more advanced features, lighting and shaders that L4D2, Portal 2, CS:GO or DOTA2 use and I wouldn't be surprised if the AMD binaries choke or crash on them.

You could always test this in a couple months by trying to run them with the latest drivers as of today and see if I was right.
        AMD blob shares the code, so if they run on Windows, they would also run on the blob.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          AMD blob shares the code, so if they run on Windows, they would also run on the blob.
          Not true, because the Windows version uses Direct3D and the Linux version uses OpenGL.

Comment

On my E-350 laptop steam can't even launch in big picture mode (crashes).

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
              Not true, because the Windows version uses Direct3D and the Linux version uses OpenGL.
              Good point, I forgot they were creating a wrapper instead of the games being native GL.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
                Trine 2 runs fine of the FLOSS drivers, and I somehow doubt the Source engine is all that more complicated when compared to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  Trine 2 runs fine of the FLOSS drivers, and I somehow doubt the Source engine is all that more complicated when compared to that.
                  Sorry, but...no.

First of all, it's safe to assume that the Source engine gets a lot more active development than the engine used in Trine 2, whose name I forget, and Source has definitely been used for many more high-budget games. Of course it's going to be more complicated.

More importantly, anyone who's ever worked on or debugged an OpenGL implementation knows that different applications use different features in different combinations, even if they are visually similar from a user's perspective, and they thus expose different driver bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    You're a funny guy. I wouldn't tell that joke to all of the people on HD4xx0 series cards that have to use legacy drivers though... Same age drivers on Windows run TF2 and SS3 fine but can't load or have major issues in Linux. Just look at Valve's github for Steam, more than twice as many issues reported under AMD drivers vs Nvidia, and last time I checked Nvidia had more linux market share.

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
                      Some games can do OpenGl on windows.
                      Serious Sam 3 to name one. (there are more)

Some people "tested" Serious Sam 3, and they have the same performance on windows and Linux with openGl.

This sounds better then it is, Because on directX the game runs better.
                      But this seems proof the sharing part.

According the one of the developers of the Serious Sam 3 game on the steam forum.
                      There is nothing in the game, which explains, why its slower on Linux.
                      It should be a bit faster.

He also said allot of people were working hard.
                      Driver and Linux people.

Comment

Working...
                      X