Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left 4 Dead 2 Getting Closer To Release On Linux

Phoronix: Left 4 Dead 2 Getting Closer To Release On Linux

While Left 4 Dead 2 was the first Valve game I saw natively running on Linux when meeting with Valve to talk about their Linux plans early last year, the Source Engine game still hasn't been publicly released. Fortunately, the public release is getting closer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they are going to release older games, then they need to discount them.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
      The current price is already considerably lower than the launch price.

Comment

Even if I really like L4D2 I would rather see DotA2 first on linux

Comment

I have a feeling part of what is holding them back on L4D2 is that they probably want to release L4D first which they probably started to port much later than L4D2. From the way they were talking back in November, L4D2 was nearly ready then. Considering all the games they have ported since then it is hard to believe that nearly 4 months time wasn't enough to get L4D2 fit for release. Which makes me think they want to get L4D out first; similar to how the old Half-Life and Counter-Strike games got released first. Then again, I think Goldsrc was OpenGL based and it was likely a simpler engine than current Source so it could just be that those games made it out first because the ports were easier/quicker.

Comment

I was just thinking the other day that Valve seems to be playing a game to see how many GoldSrc and Source games they can release for Linux before L4D2...

Really, though, it will be good news for me when it does land. About half the times that I still boot into Windows are to play L4D2 with friends.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
              I have a feeling part of what is holding them back on L4D2 is that they probably want to release L4D first which they probably started to port much later than L4D2. From the way they were talking back in November, L4D2 was nearly ready then. Considering all the games they have ported since then it is hard to believe that nearly 4 months time wasn't enough to get L4D2 fit for release. Which makes me think they want to get L4D out first; similar to how the old Half-Life and Counter-Strike games got released first. Then again, I think Goldsrc was OpenGL based and it was likely a simpler engine than current Source so it could just be that those games made it out first because the ports were easier/quicker.
              I'm not sure what the point would be. Valve already ported all of the original L4D's maps to L4D2, so the first game is quite obsolete now. Valve knows this, players know this.

I find it more likely that the delay is because of GoldSrc, and the fact that L4D2 is one of the newest and most complex games using the Source engine.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                They do from time to time. I got both of them for next to nothing:

Comment

Huh, so L4D2 is not yet released? With all the hype around it, I thought it would have been the first game to ship. Apparently not. So what was the first, then?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Huh, so L4D2 is not yet released? With all the hype around it, I thought it would have been the first game to ship. Apparently not. So what was the first, then?
                    The first to be released was TF2, which was followed (in some order) by Half-Life 1, Counter-Strike, CS:S, DoD:S, and HL2 Deathmatch.

Comment

Working...
                    X