Windows 8 Outperforming Ubuntu Linux With Intel OpenGL Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
    Yes you will. Less programs / shared libraries in memory -> less CPU time to manage them.

You can also try disabling services which kills those svchosts.
    In Windows 8 Microsoft has drastically trimmed the number of svchost processes running in the background. I remember how setting up a fresh copy of Vista or 7 would result in 5 - 8 such processes running concurrently. In a copy of Windows 8 i set up recently I only have 4 svchost.exe processes running. That said Windows 8 seems to be quite aggresive in suspending applications to save on resource consumption: i left a Reader app open for a few minutes without touching it and Task Manager reported that Windows had suspended it already. :s

Still I wish Microsoft would put a little more effort into kernel-side improvements instead of just making simple fixes. Sure most of their functionality is now dependent on the windows shell which has been improved compared to the resource guzzler it was in Windows vista and 7 but would it kill them to put more effort on the NT kernel...
    Last edited by Sonadow; 22 March 2013, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
      Yeah, only linux user could catch a virus in windows I'm using windows without antivirus for more than 5 years now, and never saw any virus...
      Precisely antivirus are designed to detect the virus in your system because you cannot see. I never imagined that windows fan boys really believe than typical virus trojans... just say them "hello" when booting...

And no one even cares to make viruses for linux...
      They don't care because is very, very, very difficult...

There is no point in runing only benchmarks, i know, its sad, that all you can do in linux is watching benchmarks, but in windows we have actual games
      Yeah, there is thousands of thousands great games for windows, i cant write all of them here, but you got the idea, none of them are available for linux.
      This is the most difficult part to understand for windows fanboys: Linux is mostly used for work and serious tasks with gaming as a secondary activity. Unable to understand what the words "work" and "serious tasks" mean, Windows fanboys fail to see why 99% of servers or supercomputers run linux. In any case, all this is changing now with projects such as Steam on Linux, which born due to recent Windows fiasco as gaming platform...

The head of Valve says his company is working to develop for Linux, calling Microsoft's Windows 8 a "catastrophe" that will lead product manufacturers to abandon the platform.

For the past several days, I've been playing with a very nice laptop that has Windows 8 Professional installed on it. Many others, like our sibling site Gizmodo, have looked at Windows 8's usability for professional environments, or for everyday home computing. I've been exploring its potential specifically for…

Thats one of the big problems of linux, all DEs looks so terrible, and themes for it looks even more horrible, developers must have been very hiiiiiiigh when they made it
      Nope. Almost all of the most beautiful themes/desktops found in online galleries are using linux. It is hard to find a similar quality windows 7 theme and none for windows 8 (the so called "fisher price looking OS"). Moreover windows themes do not offer even a 10% of configuration and customizations possibilities of the linux-based ones. Again words such as "configuration" and "customization" are beyond the capabilities of windows fanboys.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
        I was using this shit from winblows 3.1, so I know a lot about this.
        You forgot to mention, that your windows usage ended with 3.2 xD

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          Still I wish Microsoft would put a little more effort into kernel-side improvements instead of just making simple fixes. Sure most of their functionality is now dependent on the windows shell which has been improved compared to the resource guzzler it was in Windows vista and 7 but would it kill them to put more effort on the NT kernel...
          So go and make yourself those improvements, why da fak you need all that opensource bullshit in linux, if no one can add great code improvements ?

Comment

You forgot to mention, that your windows usage ended with 3.2 xD
            Yep, but M$ advertised it as a Windows 7. :>
            Last edited by Guest; 22 March 2013, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I'm all about performance benchmarks between systems and so forth but was this really needed. If you look at something similar here. That article already pointed out that depending on the driver/hardware combo you have each desktop environment will give you different results for games. I'm not going to bother finding the other articles that have already benchmarked different desktop environments against Intel. It just seems like this topic is beating a dead horse.

I'm happy that we continue to get benchmarks with newer driver updates but we all know it's going to be awhile before Intel Linux drivers are on par to Windows. Looking at what Intel has done I wouldn't be surprised if if they only continue to focus on improvements for the latest hardware wanyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                You're lying or you connect to Internet from a Linux box. Viruses won't run on Linux as easy as on winblows. On winblows it's enough to connect.
                That hasn't been true since Windows started running a firewall by default. I believe that was XP SP2.

Comment

Proprietary Intel OpenGL driver Outperforming open-source Intel OpenGL driver

In my opinion, the title would be changed to "proprietary Intel OpenGL driver Outperforming open-source Intel OpenGL driver" because it can lead to confusion, specially among non-linux users who know little about the existence of both proprietary and open-source drivers.

This is not specific of Intel. You could just select two linux distros use the proprietary AMD/ATI driver on one and the open-source AMD/ATI driver on the other and the distro with the proprietary driver will outperform the other on 3D. You could even repeat this using the same distro for both drivers and one of them will be faster, but the conclusion is not that the distro is outperforming itself.
                  Last edited by juanrga; 22 March 2013, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I'm using windows without antivirus for more than 5 years now, and never saw any virus... ?
                    Virus do not say you "hello I am here" when booting. That is why antivirus search for virus. Moreover, having an antivirus installed on your Windows is not guarantee that your system is free of them, specially when the antivirus is not up to date.

There is no point in runing only benchmarks, i know, its sad, that all you can do in linux is watching benchmarks, but in windows we have actual games
                    Yeah, there is thousands of thousands great games for windows, i cant write all of them here, but you got the idea, none of them are available for linux.
                    People uses linux for all kind of serious stuff, including running the 99% of worldwide servers and supercomputers. And yes, people also uses linux for gaming: native games, PlayOnLinux, wine...

Past year, game developers have labelled windows 8 with words such as "catastrophe", "schizophrenic", "obnoxious", and nightmare" and are turning to linux as game platform. Steam already includes several ports of Windows games to linux.

Oh and people has been playing Call of Duty Black Ops on linux for years...

Yeah, AOL still looks better than any shitty linux DE, plus win8 only has idea of AOL, its looks are very very very good, with best graphics, every element matches other elements, and everything works perfect, so shame on you, buy glasses... Thats one of the big problems of linux, all DEs looks so terrible, and themes for it looks even more horrible, developers must have been very hiiiiiiigh when they made it
                    [/quote]

Actually the most beautiful themes and desktops found in online galleries are those using some linux distro. And they have customization possibilities that windows users cannot even dream...

Comment

Originally posted by juanrga View Post
                      In my opinion, the title would be changed to "proprietary Intel OpenGL driver Outperforming open-source Intel OpenGL driver" because it can lead to confusion, specially among non-linux users who know little about the existence of both proprietary and open-source drivers.

This is not specific of Intel. You could just select two linux distros use the proprietary AMD/ATI driver on one and the open-source AMD/ATI driver on the other and the distro with the proprietary driver will outperform the other on 3D. You could even repeat this using the same distro for both drivers and one of them will be faster, but the conclusion is not that the distro is outperforming itself.
                      That's true, but hey! Phoronix FUDs as usual.

Comment

Working...
                      X