Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 97

Thread: Windows 8 Outperforming Ubuntu Linux With Intel OpenGL Graphics

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    It's quite possible Linux/Open Source Intel drivers will never reach the performance level of Windows drivers, because the latter are close source, thus Intel can secretly cheat in Windows but they cannot cheat in Linux, 'cause their secrets/hacks/subterfuges will be instantly unearthed by their competitors and journalists.
    I find that really hard to believe. If Intel is already developing drivers for their hardware, aren't they already giving away all the details?

    You are right if you are talking about specific parts of a video card like third-party video decoders and such.

    And besides, optimizing a driver is not cheating. Intel is just not putting as much energy in optimizing the Linux drivers.

    And what is wrong with placing a dirty hack in the driver you develop on your own? Practically speaking, nouveau was full of hacks since the developers were still figuring things out on how to handle it. After a big rewrite in the kernel, libdrm and mesa things are starting to look 'nice'. A very nice example is this commit (link!). It is a hack because it will not work under all states of the world. But it works!

    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by przemoli View Post
    People start thinking for a moment..

    1) Valve DO NOT ALLOW for benchmarks of Steam nor games on Steam for Linux... RTFE(ULA). Its beta. So no nice TF2 benchmarks in near future...

    2) Valve support UBUNTU, in STOCK configuration. Benchmarking stock Ubu vs stock Win8 make sense.

    3) Installing another DE/tweaking Unity/Compiz is easy, so people wanting to get most perf will do it. But general benchmarks should be useful for general audience :P

    4) You can rerun those tests on your configurations, and upload to openbenchmarking.org Show the results, instead of molesting poor keyboards
    Przemoli for president

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by przemoli View Post
    People start thinking for a moment..

    1) Valve DO NOT ALLOW for benchmarks of Steam nor games on Steam for Linux... RTFE(ULA). Its beta. So no nice TF2 benchmarks in near future...

    2) Valve support UBUNTU, in STOCK configuration. Benchmarking stock Ubu vs stock Win8 make sense.

    3) Installing another DE/tweaking Unity/Compiz is easy, so people wanting to get most perf will do it. But general benchmarks should be useful for general audience :P

    4) You can rerun those tests on your configurations, and upload to openbenchmarking.org Show the results, instead of molesting poor keyboards
    First comment you posted in this topic I fully agree with.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by przemoli View Post
    2) Valve support UBUNTU, in STOCK configuration. Benchmarking stock Ubu vs stock Win8 make sense.
    Yes, but the article sounds like it is supposed to be a driver benchmark. So it would still be nice to know if this is the best the driver can do. So maybe additionally, ubuntu with openbox or so and windows without aero could be benchmarked (can aero be disabled in windows 8?)

    Quote Originally Posted by JS987 View Post
    It doesn't make sense to benchmark using games which are designed for discrete GPU on Intel GPU. If you are serious gamer you will need discrete GPU anyway.
    By the way, Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike Source and Half Life 2 Deathmatch run pretty good on intel. Only serious sam 3 is not really optimized for it (and not officially supported at the moment).

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by przemoli View Post
    2) Valve support UBUNTU, in STOCK configuration. Benchmarking stock Ubu vs stock Win8 make sense.

    3) Installing another DE/tweaking Unity/Compiz is easy, so people wanting to get most perf will do it. But general benchmarks should be useful for general audience
    This actually doesn't make any sense. This benchmark was neither to compare Steam nor Steam games with their Windows counterpart, so your argument #2 is irrelevant. So is argument number three, since this was not a benchmark about squeezing the last bit performance out of a DE/WM.
    This was a comparison for OpenGL rendering on Windows and Linux on Intel hardware. If you can't tell if a lower performance is caused by a well known, but unpredictable, performance regression in Unity or if lower performance is indeed caused by the Linux Intel driver the whole article is missing the point totally and therefore nothing but a waste of time.
    The astonishing thing is that this was told to Michael several times, but it seems that he does not understand that.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    This actually doesn't make any sense. This benchmark was neither to compare Steam nor Steam games with their Windows counterpart, so your argument #2 is irrelevant. So is argument number three, since this was not a benchmark about squeezing the last bit performance out of a DE/WM.
    This was a comparison for OpenGL rendering on Windows and Linux on Intel hardware. If you can't tell if a lower performance is caused by a well known, but unpredictable, performance regression in Unity or if lower performance is indeed caused by the Linux Intel driver the whole article is missing the point totally and therefore nothing but a waste of time.
    The astonishing thing is that this was told to Michael several times, but it seems that he does not understand that.
    I see what you mean but he brought up his argument #2 in response to his argument #1, so you should probably look at them as 1A and 1B. As for argument #3, that is relevant. A good benchmark will test all major conditions. With your argument, that would mean testing different screen resolutions doesn't matter either. Previous tests have shown that Unity has had a pretty drastic performance drop compared to other DEs in multiple types of tests. AFAIK, compositing doesn't turn off when you run full-screen programs, which drains performance. Windows 8 most likely disables Aero during fullscreen programs, which gives it an automatic lead. Unlike Windows, Linux isn't a 1-size-fits-all OS, so comparing 1 variation of it isn't enough of a test when it comes to a test like this.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Yep, this thread is troll
    1) Like its a big surprise, that windows is faster in everything than linux... lioooool
    2) Linux cant be really tested for gaming, because it doesnt have any real top games to be tested, same few shitty low level games are being tested like for 50 years... who fkin cares about ice age gaming in linux...
    2.1) steam for linux still didnt do much in linux gaming for now, it still doesnt have any great games like "call of duty : blackcops 2" or "need for speed most wanted 2012", just some primitives game for babies... for this situation to change, it will take many years, i mean, it will take at least 10 years for first big games to appear in linux, and it will be just a few top games, not like hundreds of games that are available for windows right now
    3) linux isnt developed for being number one, it is made for learning purposes, so the situation about gaming in linux wont change.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Bernardino, CA
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Great benchmark Michael! I agree with others that the games benchmarked (Open Arena, Xonotic, etc) are very relevant to a driver comparison, because you want to keep the same codepath (openGL) and reduce the number of different variables as much as possible when looking at driver performance between two distinct platforms.

    Also, to those saying Intel Gfx are irrelevant... Intel has the best OSS graphics drivers of any gfx manufacturer. Would you prefer to see a comparison of Radeon OSS vs Windows Catalyst? We all know who would win that one.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    17

    Default

    ofcource even windows 8 has better performance than ubuntu. ubuntu is slow as hell compared to other distros and specially source based ones like gentoo.
    i get over 3 times better graphics performance in gentoo than on ubuntu, so no. this test dosent show at all that windows 8 has better performance than linux. only that it has better than ubuntu.

  9. #29

    Default

    As shown in other more recent Phoronix tests, most of the Unity/Compiz overhead has been eliminated with the latest Raring packages... As used in this benchmark. But for those in disbelief that the Linux OpenGL performance can lose to Windows, I'll happily run some more tests from Xfce and KDE on this laptop to show those results...

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by startzz View Post
    Yep, this thread is troll
    1) Like its a big surprise, that windows is faster in everything than linux... lioooool
    2) Linux cant be really tested for gaming, because it doesnt have any real top games to be tested, same few shitty low level games are being tested like for 50 years... who fkin cares about ice age gaming in linux...
    2.1) steam for linux still didnt do much in linux gaming for now, it still doesnt have any great games like "call of duty : blackcops 2" or "need for speed most wanted 2012", just some primitives game for babies... for this situation to change, it will take many years, i mean, it will take at least 10 years for first big games to appear in linux, and it will be just a few top games, not like hundreds of games that are available for windows right now
    3) linux isnt developed for being number one, it is made for learning purposes, so the situation about gaming in linux wont change.
    Oh great funkstar has a twin troll - startzz. There should be something where if someone wants to create a username, they aren't allowed to have the word "star" in their name. BTW, I don't see how you think linux's games are "shitty and low level" when you play non-existent games like "Black Cops 2" lmao.


    @Michael
    If you decide to test XFCE or KDE (personally I think XFCE is a better test, even though I like KDE more) and people still don't stop whining about your work then just put them on a "graylist" where you don't have to ban them but you know to automatically dismiss their comments as "insatiable".
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 03-21-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •