Windows 8 Outperforming Ubuntu Linux With Intel OpenGL Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

other benchmarks

can we have comparison for benchmarks like Unigine Heaven, Unigine Valley, OilRush, Furmark, Lightsmark? They are for free I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
      i fell like im from the future with my windows os
      You mean that os which looks remarkably like AOL from 1996?

Comment

1) Yes, i'm serious, you only see english language, so you cant really understand what i write with your low level of knowledge
        2) Yes, new good games, like "Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Is Getting Ported To Linux", game from 1996, thats the level of linux gaming... ROFLMFAO !!!
        3) In fact, they did, because i tried and i know, so linux now is trash in general, not just ubuntu
        Yeah, im not much of a linux fan, and i dont even care about beos or solaris, cause windows rulezz desktop pc's And once more, yes, there isnt much in this site that is interesting, like some people like to read jokes on internet, i like to read some linux forums, those are full of trolls and so funny, i fell like im from the future with my windows os, reading all that news from 1990's
        2/10 not even close to rustled.

Comment

windows rulezz desktop pc's
          True, especially when it comes to malware, software with zero value of benefit and the largest number of PEBKAC users in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Windows 8 Outperforming Ubuntu Linux With Intel OpenGL Graphics

In our benchmarks of Microsoft Windows 8, we have found that Intel's Windows OpenGL driver is generally superior to that of their open-source Linux graphics driver. Some progress has been made, but in today's testing of an ASUS Ultrabook bearing an Ivy Bridge processor, Linux has a ways to go for some games in matching the Windows binary performance and features.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18582
            Thanks for the article, Michael.
            This isn't surprising. I'd read that there was a massive driver refactorization (at a minimum, though, IIRC, it talked of an actual rewrite but that seems a bit much) for W8. W8 has really improved performance from what little I've read of it. Even browsers are faster on it than they were on W7.
            Regardless, an amazing effort from the Intel team. I'm looking forward to further features being exposed and performance optimizations.
            I'd be curious about how Gnome Shell would perform, and I'd assume that even lighter WMs like Openbox, Awesome, Enlightenment, or Xfwm would be even faster. Perhaps fast enough to bridge the gap?
            Maybe running these benchmarks from a VT would show how much absolute overhead ANY environment adds?

Comment

it still doesnt have any great games like "call of duty : blackcops 2"
              (emphasis mine)

I sincerely hope that that was meant to be a joke, because CoD is about *THE* shittiest FPS game series out there, at the very least pick something like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, or you know something else actually good such as The Witcher, or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or even great old games like SiN, Advent Rising, and Heavy Gear.
              Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 21 March 2013, 10:50 PM.

Comment

2) Yes, new good games, like "Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Is Getting Ported To Linux", game from 1996, thats the level of linux gaming... ROFLMFAO !!!
                No! That game is being still ported together with the best windows game ever!! DONKEY.BAS

Recall that the newest linux game available now is from 1731. I'm surprised that windows fanboys don't know those well-known facts.

Comment

Unity!

Not hard to "outperforme" Ubuntu!

It's well kown that unity (compiz) is a performance break!

If you dont belive it, test it e.g. with heaven benchmark

Ubuntu 12.10 (Unity): 30 MAX-FPS
                  Fedora 18 (Gnome 3): 52 MAX-FPS
                  Gentoo (KDE 4.10): 54 MAX-FPS

Comment

Yeah, only linux user could catch a virus in windows I'm using windows without antivirus for more than 5 years now, and never saw any virus... And no one even cares to make viruses for linux... Even mac users have some fun with trojans, you must be so sad, arent you ?
                    There is no point in runing only benchmarks, i know, its sad, that all you can do in linux is watching benchmarks, but in windows we have actual games
                    Yeah, there is thousands of thousands great games for windows, i cant write all of them here, but you got the idea, none of them are available for linux.
                    Yeah, AOL still looks better than any shitty linux DE, plus win8 only has idea of AOL, its looks are very very very good, with best graphics, every element matches other elements, and everything works perfect, so shame on you, buy glasses... Thats one of the big problems of linux, all DEs looks so terrible, and themes for it looks even more horrible, developers must have been very hiiiiiiigh when they made it
                    Last edited by startzz; 22 March 2013, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                      On a quick glance this title looks like it is saying windows 8 has better performance than linux. Could you use titles like e.g. "Intel driver for windows 8 outperforming intel driver for linux" instead, that better describe what the article wants to say?

So, this was done with unity's/compiz' compositing. There shouldn't be a noticeable difference for the open source drivers between running opengl on a composited desktop vs on a non-composited one anymore, right?
                      Nope, the title is correct because it didn't tested drivers, but the entire operating system (not just the kernel) on stock settings, so yes, with compositing enabled.

Comment

Working...
                      X