Windows 8 Outperforming Ubuntu Linux With Intel OpenGL Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
    Alright, so you decided to do these benchmarks using the obviously most relevant and interesting titles for PC gaming right now available, such as Nexuiz, Xonotic, and OpenArena, and by no means uninteresting and irrelevant titles such as Team Fortress 2, Unigine OilRush, Serious Sam 3, Counter Strike: Source and the like.
    And the most uninteresting and irrelevant graphic chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
      All the newer games you listed run on DirectX under Windows. How should he have compared the openGL performance between the OSes this way??
      It doesn't matter if they're using OpenGL or directx. Only performance matters in this case. However, to see really fair benchmarks we probably have to wait for TF2 benchmarks running on nvidia hardware. Btw. I wonder how much $$ Phoronix gets from sponsored titles by craple and m$?

Comment

Nexuiz

The increase in frame rate for Nexuiz looks like MSAA was turned off rather than a performance improvement - I don't know for sure. The change in performance does match earlier benchmarks for when MSAA was not implemented in mesa to when it was in an earlier article: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...sa91_ivb&num=2.

It would be good to have some sort of flag <in> the benchmarks showing whether MSAA is enabled/used so that we're not confusing performance regressions with MSAA being enabled and performance improvements with it being disabled. Or having it always disabled all together.

Comment

It's quite possible Linux/Open Source Intel drivers will never reach the performance level of Windows drivers, because the latter are close source, thus Intel can secretly cheat in Windows but they cannot cheat in Linux, 'cause their secrets/hacks/subterfuges will be instantly unearthed by their competitors and journalists.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            It's quite possible Linux/Open Source Intel drivers will never reach the performance level of Windows drivers, because the latter are close source, thus Intel can secretly cheat in Windows but they cannot cheat in Linux, 'cause their secrets/hacks/subterfuges will be instantly unearthed by their competitors and journalists.
            I've thought this myself.

I do think another test to replace either Xonotic or Nexuiz would've been nice, since in the end we're basically looking at only 2 benchmarks. But, I'm sure Michael will post more tests.

I would say that Ubuntu with Unity used to be the best baseline for measuring linux performance since it was the most popular and therefore the standard (whether we like it or not), but it isn't the most popular distro anymore so I'd say Mint should be the main distro to comparisons with. I guess the only problem with Mint is I'm not aware of it supporting anything other than Cinnamon and XFCE, though I haven't taken a look at it in maybe 3 years so it's hard to tell.

As for people whining about tests not used with your personal preferred game - keep in mind Michael is doing tests that his benchmark suite comes with. I highly doubt he's licensed to add whatever the hell he wants to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              And the most uninteresting and irrelevant graphic chip.
              Intel HD 4000 is fastest GPU with non-crappy open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                It doesn't matter if they're using OpenGL or directx. Only performance matters in this case. However, to see really fair benchmarks we probably have to wait for TF2 benchmarks running on nvidia hardware. Btw. I wonder how much $$ Phoronix gets from sponsored titles by craple and m$?
                Wrong. This was a driver comparison, that's why it's crucial that the games run the same openGL codepaths under both OSes.
                Otherwise factors such as better DirectX implementation of the same game would have tainted the benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                  Alright, so you decided to do these benchmarks using the obviously most relevant and interesting titles for PC gaming right now available, such as Nexuiz, Xonotic, and OpenArena, and by no means uninteresting and irrelevant titles such as Team Fortress 2, Unigine OilRush, Serious Sam 3, Counter Strike: Source and the like.
                  It doesn't make sense to benchmark using games which are designed for discrete GPU on Intel GPU. If you are serious gamer you will need discrete GPU anyway.
                  Last edited by JS987; 21 March 2013, 09:57 AM.

Comment

People start thinking for a moment..

1) Valve DO NOT ALLOW for benchmarks of Steam nor games on Steam for Linux... RTFE(ULA). Its beta. So no nice TF2 benchmarks in near future...

2) Valve support UBUNTU, in STOCK configuration. Benchmarking stock Ubu vs stock Win8 make sense.

3) Installing another DE/tweaking Unity/Compiz is easy, so people wanting to get most perf will do it. But general benchmarks should be useful for general audience :P

4) You can rerun those tests on your configurations, and upload to openbenchmarking.org Show the results, instead of molesting poor keyboards

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                      It doesn't make sense to benchmark using games which are designed for discrete GPU on Intel GPU. If you are serious gamer you will need discrete GPU anyway.
                      Still AAA publishers/game dev do want to target Intel GPU's, as those are popular. So good results on Intel GPU are very good news for everybody (especially if you just need to update your gpu drivers..).

Comment

Working...
                      X