HDD & SSD File-System Benchmarks On Linux 3.9 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSD performance

I'll be getting an SSD soon so this information was useful. Too bad most distros don't yet support install to F2FS, so it's a slight pain to set up. Does F2FS come with some sort of automatic TRIM enabled or do you have to enable it manually, e.g. using fstrim?

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
      I'll be getting an SSD soon so this information was useful. Too bad most distros don't yet support install to F2FS, so it's a slight pain to set up. Does F2FS come with some sort of automatic TRIM enabled or do you have to enable it manually, e.g. using fstrim?
      AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) F2FS is not made for SSDs, it's made for direct access to flash chips. That means it has it's own wear leveling and doesn't need TRIM. (Theoretically) you could change your SSDs firmware to use F2FS internally and your OS could use any FS on top (just like it's done right now: The firmware inside of the SSD uses it's own (proprietary) FS with it's own wear leveling), then you could tell (by writing it into the code) F2FS to react to the TRIM from the FS on top so it knows what's empty and what not.

On the other side that would also mean you can install it on a SSD (from the OS, not changing the firmware) and don't need TRIM as the wear leveling is done by F2FS instead (and the garbage collector of the SSD firmware). In theory this should be good enough for the SSD but practically I can't tell. In the worst case (unlikely) the garbage collector may interfere badly with the wear leveling of F2FS.
      Last edited by V10lator; 28 March 2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X