KDE Releases Plasma Media Center 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
    You sure? if you search "kde" "donate" on google the first page is... guess what, incredible!
    They actually accept donations!
    http://www.kde.org/community/donations/
    If I donate there, will KDE e.V hire professional designer? I don't think so. Wasn't krita campaign http://pledgie.com/campaigns/7221 big win for everybody?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      That is your opinion. A lot of people think that oxygen icons are better than the flat, bland Gnome ones. A Gnome port of the oxygen icon theme is one of the most popular icon sets on gnome-look, a number of companies (including Sony) have used one or more oxygen icons, and there are far more downloads for alternative Gnome icons on gnome-look than there are for alternative kde icons on kde-look, and the top android KDE-based themes are several times more popular than the top gnome themes.
      It's not about KDE vs gnome ffs. Default icons are ugly atleast most of them. Minority like u will say they are beautiful. Why they can't polish the god damn UI so it would attract people? Take a look at this http://userbase.kde.org/images.userb.../Amarok2.6.png
      Who on earth finds it beautiful? Dull grey, keyboard accelerators(lol geeks), cluttered UI, THAT GREEN REFRESH ICON is so out of context and looks freaking UGLY. A lot of icons look cluttered too, seriously this is one ugly looking UI, everything looks out of place.
      Last edited by phoen1x; 21 March 2013, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
        It's not about KDE vs gnome ffs.
        You are the one who brought that up, not me.

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
        Default icons are ugly atleast most of them. Minority like u will say they are beautiful.
        So, I suppose you have some evidence that the majority of people don't like the oxygen icons?

Comment

Wow, finaly?

Is Raptor going to be released before KDE5, or is it dead? (Jim)

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post
            If I donate there, will KDE e.V hire professional designer? I don't think so.
            Of course not. The idea of KDE e.V. is not to hire KDE developers:

KDE e.V.'s (from now on "the e.V.") primary purpose is to support KDE. KDE is a community of developers, translators, writers and users. The e.V. supports the community through the following long-term activities:
            -The e.V. holds property for the good of the entire community. This property includes the KDE trademarks, hardware and networking equipment and cash money.
            -Makes the property available to individual contributors as needed in order to support KDE. This includes paying for travel to meetings, subsidizing events, purchasing individual hardware and offsetting other costs.
            -Organizes events including code sprints, developer meetings and the yearly KDE World Conference Akademy.
            -Approaches sponsors and supporting members for resources in order to carry out these activities.
            KDE e.V. is a registered non-profit organization that represents the KDE Project in legal and financial matters.

Originally posted by gedgon View Post
            Wasn't krita campaign http://pledgie.com/campaigns/7221 big win for everybody?
            If you want to hire a professional designer to create an antire icon set (and other vectors such as plasma theme) then we are not talking about couple thousand dollars; probably more like tens of thousands. Creating thousands of icons is a full time job for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
              [...]we are not talking about couple thousand dollars; probably more like tens of thousands. Creating thousands of icons is a full time job for a year.
              I totally agree with you. Imho, no big deal if Krita (probably even average Linux user don't know what it is) can make $5k or BSD over $500k every year.

Comment

When I tried the application I got the feeling it was very touch screen oriented. Should work very good with plasma active. I don't think the UI is for regular desktop use?

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                  When I tried the application I got the feeling it was very touch screen oriented. Should work very good with plasma active. I don't think the UI is for regular desktop use?
                  To be fair, a media centre is not for regular desktop use overall. You use media players instead.

Comment

Oh, come on. You think that you can find an icon designer
                    with more experience and quality that Nuno? That's simply
                    bollocks. Icon design is fine. UI spacing and font usage is
                    a bit of a problem, I'll give you that.

Comment

Working...
                    X