Differences Between X.Org, Wayland & Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
    Maybe the end results will be Mir will be for the front-line, and Wayland for the Richard Stallman end of Linux. Proprietary drivers may only support Mir and the other distros will reply on open source drivers.
    If Christopher Halse Rogers (the guy who's blog this article is pointing to) is to be believed then the Mir compatible propietary drivers (on desktop anyway) should work with Wayland just fine. Then there's the fact that Wayland/Weston is licensed under MIT whereas Mir is under L/GPLv3...

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      If Christopher Halse Rogers (the guy who's blog this article is pointing to) is to be believed then the Mir compatible propietary drivers (on desktop anyway) should work with Wayland just fine. Then there's the fact that Wayland/Weston is licensed under MIT whereas Mir is under L/GPLv3...
      At least my understanding is that Wayland and Mir use the same parts of EGL (standard extensions), but Mir additionally uses some non-standard extensions. Therefore, any driver that supports Mir (or supports standard EGL) will automatically support Wayland. On the other hand, a driver that is designed to support Wayland (or designed to support standard EGL), will not support Mir. This would mean that at least as many drivers will support Wayland than will support Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
        Then there's the fact that Wayland/Weston is licensed under MIT whereas Mir is under L/GPLv3...
        Which is a non-issue, since Canonical can give other licenses to companies if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          At least my understanding is that Wayland and Mir use the same parts of EGL (standard extensions), but Mir additionally uses some non-standard extensions. Therefore, any driver that supports Mir (or supports standard EGL) will automatically support Wayland. On the other hand, a driver that is designed to support Wayland (or designed to support standard EGL), will not support Mir. This would mean that at least as many drivers will support Wayland than will support Mir.
          Wayland depends on a non-standard extension to run with the DRM backend (ie. not within X).

Comment

Thanks for the definite answer to that point. Do you happen to know where we can find similar details on Mir specific extensions? Had no luck through a quick google search.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
              Thanks for the definite answer to that point. Do you happen to know where we can find similar details on Mir specific extensions? Had no luck through a quick google search.
              No I don't know anything about Mir. I don't think they've settled on anything yet, seems like they're still working on that.

If you can find where they host their mesa fork, you can see what they've added there to make it work.

A Google search yielded the following two URLs, but I get "Access denied":

Comment

Originally posted by runeks View Post
                No I don't know anything about Mir. I don't think they've settled on anything yet, seems like they're still working on that.

If you can find where they host their mesa fork, you can see what they've added there to make it work.

A Google search yielded the following two URLs, but I get "Access denied":

https://code.launchpad.net/~rocket-s...native-display
                Thanks.
                I confirm the "page not found".

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  It will continue to be that way until valve proves it is likely to provide a larger revenue stream. That may be a hard sell, even if they sell a lot of systems, workstation cards are expensive, while valve is probably going to try to cut expenses by negotiating a deal to cut prices.
                  This is not entirely true.

A forum is opened, because Valve talked with Amd.
                  Amd promised Valve they would listen.

AMD has opened a new forum ( http://devgurus.amd.com/community/steam-linux ) for those of you using Linux AMD graphics drivers. The purpose of the AMD forum is to provide a direct line to AMD for feedback on their graphics drivers. Currently before you can post you will need to create a new AMD forum account and request access to the forum. Currently, the forum is private but that will change to public very soon.

AMD has opened a new forum (http://devgurus.amd.com/community/steam-linux) for those of you using Linux AMD graphics drivers. The purpose of the AMD forum is to provide a direct line to AMD for feedback on their graphics drivers.
                  Currently before you can post you will need to create a new AMD forum account and request access to the forum. Currently, the forum is private but that will change to public very soon.
                  In case you are wondering, we will continue monitoring this forum for AMD-related issues with Steam for Linux.
                  Thanks!
                  My topic:

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
                    He also makes clear that ANYONE trying to implement their toolkit on top regardless will get broken by their change, and dare I say, probably voluntarily. i.e. it's mir's ubuntu way or the highway (or, punt intended, wayland.)

That's why KDE/GNOME will not go on mir. There is no point. Half of KDE/GNOME is the graphical toolkit (which does more than that, too): QT & GTK.
                    That's kind of the impression i got too. That they didn't like the fact that Wayland had a specified frozen API which can't be broken, just like X did. Instead, it sounds like Mir will probably be incompatible every time a new release of Ubuntu gets rolled out, as they change things in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
                      This is not entirely true.

A forum is opened, because Valve talked with Amd.
                      Amd promised Valve they would listen.

AMD has opened a new forum ( http://devgurus.amd.com/community/steam-linux ) for those of you using Linux AMD graphics drivers. The purpose of the AMD forum is to provide a direct line to AMD for feedback on their graphics drivers. Currently before you can post you will need to create a new AMD forum account and request access to the forum. Currently, the forum is private but that will change to public very soon.

My topic:
                      http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/160547
                      AMD has told a lot of people they'll "listen". The results have always been questionable.

And anyway, Valve has confirmed they will be sticking with X for the foreseeable future, so that's no reason to support Mir just for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X