Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Enables Wayland GTK+

Phoronix: Arch Linux Enables Wayland GTK+

For those Arch Linux users looking to play with Wayland/Weston, the GTK+ package available within the distribution now enables support for the Wayland back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Already?

Wow, I thought they would have done this long time ago.

Even Ubuntu have done this before.
    In 13.04 Raring Ringtail, the Wayland backend in GTK+ is compiled in.

I expected Arch to do this before Ubuntu.
    I am disappointed in Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Remember, Arch doesnt play with build flags. If upstream didnt have this enabled by default at build time, Arch probably wouldnt have. Its very rare that Arch ships a non-default configuration by default. (the other exception to this was to Mesa for one of the patented items)
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I think they have I got some gtk apps working in weston when I tried it maybe two weeks ago or something...

Comment

I think they don't have a problem enabling build flags for features.

The problem is that gtk is in the [extra] repository and I believe wayland has been in the [community] repository and they don't enable flags that require software from another repository I think. Now wayland is in [extra] so they could do it. Another concern is that people may use gtk3 but don't need wayland, should they have to install it? Messy solution: Provide gtk3-wayland alongside gtk3. Not it requires you to install wayland when installing gtk3. It's only 580 kilyobyte but still, some people potentially care... At least wayland only depends on libffi and expat.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            I think they don't have a problem enabling build flags for features.

The problem is that gtk is in the [extra] repository and I believe wayland has been in the [community] repository and they don't enable flags that require software from another repository I think. Now wayland is in [extra] so they could do it. Another concern is that people may use gtk3 but don't need wayland, should they have to install it? Messy solution: Provide gtk3-wayland alongside gtk3. Not it requires you to install wayland when installing gtk3. It's only 580 kilyobyte but still, some people potentially care... At least wayland only depends on libffi and expat.
            Also mesa depends on Wayland in Arch.

Comment

Gnumeric and galculator work under Weston. (gnumeric caused a segfault in something, but continued running regardless)

Now I can't wait for Gtk to have decorations support and applications to stop using X specific libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                Gnumeric and galculator work under Weston. (gnumeric caused a segfault in something, but continued running regardless)

Now I can't wait for Gtk to have decorations support and applications to stop using X specific libraries.
                Upcoming GTK 3.8 have client-side decorations.

Comment

Working...
                X