Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lima Driver Makes Progress With Shaders

Hybrid View

Default Lima Driver Makes Progress With Shaders

Phoronix: Lima Driver Makes Progress With Shaders

The open-source Lima driver project that has been working on a reverse-engineered ARM Mali Linux graphics driver is still advancing...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzMDg

Will the Lima driver leverage Gallium3D?

Another reason why we need Mir.

Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Another reason why we need Mir.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    Mir will solve the thousands of drivers that are yet to be reverse engineered and ported to Linux and maintained, if they will ever be so. Mir bridges the gap by using exiting maintained drivers made for Android, as you already know.

Mir will solve the thousands of drivers that are yet to be reverse engineered and ported to Linux and maintained, if they will ever be so. Mir bridges the gap by using exiting maintained drivers made for Android, as you already know.
    Ohhh, I see what your saying. Yes, using the existing prop. Android drivers will bring support for these devices day 1, instead of years of slow and painful dev that by the time its decent, the hardware was 3 generations ago.

maybe s/solve/hack around/..

anyways, I think the arm driver situation isn't as bleak as that. There is reverse engineering work going on with nearly all of the of the embedded gpu's. Which is infinitely better than the situation a little over a year ago. I guess in 6-12months, maybe less, we are seeing working mesa drivers for lima/vivante/tegra (and there is already one for adreno). ofc, we will be playing catch-up until some of the gpu vendor's realize that it is a good idea to support the open src driver work (like intel/amd). And once the current generation gpus are supported, it will get easier for generation n+1. But the situation is improving. For example, nvidia/tegra folks working together with the community on drm/kms driver and releasing code for the 2d part. It is a baby-step, but a step nonetheless.

That's an interesting practicality. I honestly haven't been following all the wayland/mir stuff but being a developer myself I can understand how people who've invested time into a project get very attached to it, which is why I take both wayland and mir with a grain of salt (remember, it's always *the* code and not *MY* code, the worst mistake any developer can make).

The truth is that mir is farther away from supporting android drivers right now than Wayland is.

Wayland supported such drivers in the past, and support was only dropped because no one was interested in maintaining it. Sounds like a good place for Canonical to pick up the slack. They've claimed that Mir will eventually support Android drivers, but for now that's all just on paper. It hasn't happened yet.

Have you ever tried working with blob Android drivers? What's that... no?

I didn't think so.

So... STFU. Blob Android drivers are a nightmarish part of playing in AOSP.
    Android is a lot more fun when you're playing in Mesa/Gallium3D.