• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Oh you mean like :
    • LLVM Bytecode
    • JVM Bytecode
    • Mono's CIL implementation

I don't think we need YetAnotherBytecode
    The problem is that those bytecodes are attached to certain environment, being a programming language (Java and C#) or a specific compiler (LLVM).

LLVM bytecode is used in Portable Native Client (PNaCl), but I'm not sure about the efficiency and able to be practical in a real life environment. Google and others just ported some stuff for the platform dependent flavor (NaCl), not sure about PNaCl by using LLVM bytecode.

I mean a target that can be implemented by language compilers like GCC or LLVM without need to worry a damn about specific stuff other than make the code portable and write in the computer language you want to, then the program can become platform independient and run efficiently in a kernel-based secure and extremely efficient VM.

This way, there would be less need to compile for tons of targets and just the more demanding software would need native binaries.
    Last edited by timofonic; 19 March 2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Kernel-based JIT/VM? Ewww.

Though one of the BSDs got one, IIRC lua.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        The problem is that those bytecodes are attached to certain environment, being a programming language (Java and C#) or a specific compiler (LLVM).
        Not quite on the former two. as far as JVM bytecode goes you have to have a compatible JVM, and the bytecode can be generated by any language that is implemented in the JVM. CIL (common instruction language) on the other paw is an ISO & ECMA standard format and is the lowest level human-readable portion of CLI (Common language infrastructure) which languages such as C#, VB, Python, etc can be built on top of. There's even a C++ variant although it works differently than normal C++ (Because Microsoft decided to try to make it be a managed language) that can use it. However neither CIL nor JVM Bytecode are really language specific.

And yes LLVM ties you to a specific compiler but that's only because other compilers haven't written their own JITer for that particular bytecode. You see the problem with JITing is that you absolutely need to have that part of the environment or a compatible replacement for it in order to use it. You inherently can't get around the problem of requiring some of the basic environmental stuff and it requires more of the environment to be carried around with you than native binaries which themselves require things like libc.

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        I mean a target that can be implemented by language compilers like GCC or LLVM without need to worry a damn about specific stuff other than make the code portable and write in the computer language you want to, then the program can become platform independient and run efficiently in a kernel-based secure and extremely efficient VM.
        other than the Kernel stuff... CIL/CLI does that, the problem with the VM idea though is that VMs is that sort of stuff really absolutely needs to be in userspace because you need to get frequent updates because a VM isn't something that is to be considered secure. Most of the common malware today to my understanding is for the most part based upon breaking out of a VM particularly Java.. so yeah... that's the last thing that belongs in kernel-space.
        Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 19 March 2013, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X