X3100 vs NVS 135M: Blue Ray and Power consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X3100 vs NVS 135M: Blue Ray and Power consumption

I am about to buy a new laptop and now I'm faced with the question: should I opt in for an Intel X3100 graphics card or a Nvidia NVS 135M card?

Of course I do have priorities: the main priority is power consumption. Usually the natural choice would be X3100, however, the NVS 135M can also be cooled passive, so I wonder if the difference is that big.
    The Dell guys (yes, it is about a D630) mentioned that the laptop would consume around 1/3 more power in office use, with a battery time of around 4 hours instead of 6 hours, but that was for Windows usage and Windows drivers. Do you have similar or different experiences?
    Besides the power consumption an important point for me is the fan noise: my current laptop drives me mad, and I need something silent...

The other priority is Blue Ray: there are more and more discs around and if I will keep my laptop for years I should keep in mind to upgrade it later on with a Blue Ray drive. However, according to this chart Blue Ray only works on Intel's X3100 with "the use of a third-party decoder card and appropriate software drivers."
    I wasn't able to find similar information about the NVS 135M, does that mean that everything should just work?

Intel onboard has up to now no H264 accelleration, so maybe go for Nvidia - but that is Win only!

Comment

What do you mean by "Win only"? That there is currently no H264 support available on Linux, or that there wont be H264 support anytime soon?
      Or is the acceleration module not supported at all?

Comment

There is no h264 acc for Linux - I would not expect it "soon".

Comment

Ok, thanks. That makes the decision easier.

Comment

It can be played very well though - my Pentium 3 1Ghz laptop plays 768x460 H.264 videos scaled fullscreen just fine.

It should also be considered that Intel will get H.264 acceleration sooner than Nvidia, after all they are the ones developing Vaapi.

Also, blu-ray discs can already be burned on linux, so using the discs itself should pose no problem.

Comment

Well only G45 and newer will get H264 acc, so what do you want with an older chip?

Comment

X3500 does have VC1 acceleration, isn't it used in many bluray movies?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  X3500 does have VC1 acceleration, isn't it used in many bluray movies?
                  Kano's point was that there is no decode acceleration
                  for advanced codecs (everything newer than MPEG-2) on Linux in general yet. Give it time, Intel engineers
                  are working on a framework...
                  Besides, given a reasonably fast CPU, the ffmpeg codecs are all you need. I certainly have no
                  problem watching my only HD-DVD on linux ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X