GTK+ Support Merged For Wayland CSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newwen View Post
    The good thing about Mir is that competition is stirring up wayland development and we could say goodbye to Xorg sooner than we think. Specially if Nvidia and Amd provide us with EGL platform drivers.
    Right, I'm sure this was all written within the last week.

Comment

Originally posted by nslqqq View Post
      Why wayland needs CSD? I don't see point of CSD at all
      One of the reasons is effects quality I believe. With CSD you have one buffer which holds your entire window's contents, including window decorations. The compositor (Wayland) can then transform/warp/etc your window however it wants (for all those pretty Compiz-like effects) without doing to much special stuff to get rid of the aliasing between the window contents and decorations.

There may be other, more technical reasons for it, but I'm unaware of them. Also, as someone else mentioned, Wayland can do both.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        Say goodbye to Xorg and hello to driver wars as the blob vendors will now have to support two instead of one platform.

Mir is basically the same as Wayland, which Mir developers admitted themselves.
        The only difference is the shell implementation, and the fact that Canonical has full control over the project.
        Because Mir and Wayland are so similar the amount of work to do them both is not as much as you would think.
        They can simply support both too you know. There is not going to be a driver war.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
          Because Mir and Wayland are so similar the amount of work to do them both is not as much as you would think.
          They can simply support both too you know. There is not going to be a driver war.
          If we can somehow convince the vendors to ship agnostic drivers with an agnostic
          buffer sharing mechanism that would work, but I'm not sure they want to put in the
          effort of distributing yet more packages than they already do.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Why not have a library called libdecoration that is used by GTK+, Qt, Clutter, EFL, FLTK, Tk, etc.

Then all widget toolkits will re-use and share the same code for decorations.
            Then all applications will have the same decorations, instead of GTK+ and Qt and others have application windows with different looking decorators.

We need a common unified well-integrated look-and-feel.
            People always think about developers as a bunch of manpower that you can to oblige them to do what you want.
            With that prerequisite in mind, they think that it is a smart idea put all that manpower on the same project and so you can achieve an impressive development speed.
            Wrong.
            You can force a developer to work on what you want only if you paid him for it, otherwise he will spend his free time in what he want and if the "big project" going to a direction that he don't like, he will stop to work on it or will fork it.
            So thinking about a hundreds of free devs that move all togheter in the same direction just because it will be a nice amount fo manpower is just an accademic wast of time.

Comment

That's a great idea! Can we have a link to your repo with the initial code?
              I'd be interested to see how you implemented this library.
              Could probably re-use much of the code from XWayland.

Comment

Yop

Say goodbye to Xorg and hello to driver wars as the blob vendors will now have to support two instead of one platform.

Mir is basically the same as Wayland, which Mir developers admitted themselves.
                The only difference is the shell implementation, and the fact that Canonical has full control over the project.
                +1

I just don't know where these people get the confidence about AMD/Nvidia and their will to support every shitty display server community throw at them...

Comment

The good thing about Mir is that competition is stirring up wayland development and we could say goodbye to Xorg sooner than we think.
                  This support mentioned in this article is the result of a lot of slow work over a long period. Is a post like this going to appear every-time something get's improved Wayland support simply because of all of the FUD floating around about Wayland being vaporware? They have been developing it for years yes, but they have actually been developing it in that time. This idea that Mir shook them out of some lazy complacency is asinine: at best it just forcing people to make their intentions known about it.

Comment

The good thing about Mir is that competition is stirring up wayland development and we could say goodbye to Xorg sooner than we think. Specially if Nvidia and Amd provide us with EGL platform drivers.
                    I reallly wish someone would explain to me how mir is competing. How is it different other than its lack of functionality?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      I reallly wish someone would explain to me how mir is competing. How is it different other than its lack of functionality?
                      Its the same issue the gnome guys addressed. Everyone knew Wayland would happen "Eventually" but they werent really pushing because there was no downside to NOT. they were no competitors or alternatives or anything, so the wayland guys and gnome and kde could just chill and do whatever.

Now Mir's here and its the classic example of "We're gonna try harder and win just to give a 'screw you!' to the other guys." So now Wayland development and Wayland-enablement has kicked up
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X