Thread: KDE KWin Progresses With Qt 5, KDE Frameworks 5

Default KDE KWin Progresses With Qt 5, KDE Frameworks 5

Phoronix: KDE KWin Progresses With Qt 5, KDE Frameworks 5

KDE's KWin compositing window manager is making steady progress in supporting the Qt 5 tool-kit and KDE Frameworks 5...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyOTE

Default Really cool stuff

You already see the groundwork being laid for Wayland and for more asynchronous operation with XCB in the short run. QML is an extremely intuitive way to put together a GUI (even I've done a couple test apps, and I'm not a GUI guy in the slightest). When everyone else is whining about politics or how to neuter the desktop in the name of running on smartphones, KDE just keeps getting better.

I have been waiting for KDE5 for quite a while now. I like KDE but the technical foundation it stands on today is just old. This can be seen in most performance tests where KDE comes in last.

But Qt5 is a whole new kind of animal, and doing things right (mainly kwin) they have limitless potential. If only they manage to keep the community spirit up and running, i think they have a bright future ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    I have been waiting for KDE5 for quite a while now.
    And you'll wait forever. It's getting close to 4 years now and you still haven't understand that there will never ever be a “KDE5”? http://vizzzion.org/blog/2011/06/there-is-no-kde5/

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    And you'll wait forever. It's getting close to 4 years now and you still haven't understand that there will never ever be a “KDE5”? http://vizzzion.org/blog/2011/06/there-is-no-kde5/
    I really don't understand way, a new toolkit and a new completely rewritten (yes the rewrite is gradually in kde 4) desktop. Why so restrictive with the version numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I really don't understand way, a new toolkit and a new completely rewritten (yes the rewrite is gradually in kde 4) desktop. Why so restrictive with the version numbers?
    There wont be who-haha big releases for KDE5. They will just slap new bigger number on some "normal" 4.x release. Just like Linus did with Linux 3.0.

Default Kde sc

KDE is the community that brings the software.

There won't be a KDE 5, there will be a KDE SC 5. KDE SC = "KDE Software Compilation".

There won't be a KDE 5, just like there won't be a Mozilla 20, there will be a Mozilla Firefox 20.

Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    I have been waiting for KDE5 for quite a while now. I like KDE but the technical foundation it stands on today is just old. This can be seen in most performance tests where KDE comes in last.

But Qt5 is a whole new kind of animal, and doing things right (mainly kwin) they have limitless potential. If only they manage to keep the community spirit up and running, i think they have a bright future ahead.
    It will be an interesting competition between Plasma Workspaces and Unity Next.

Quote Originally Posted by Nth_man View Post
    KDE is the community that brings the software.

There won't be a KDE 5, there will be a KDE SC 5. KDE SC = "KDE Software Compilation".

There won't be a KDE 5, just like there won't be a Mozilla 20, there will be a Mozilla Firefox 20.
    The actual products are Plasma Workspaces, KDE Frameworks, and the additional applications. They currently just happen to be released simultaneously, resulting in the Software Compilation.
    A recent blog post by Aaron Seigo suggests that even that may no longer happen in the future: “We released [the libraries] in one big lump along with our applications, in fact. This kept many people from using the libraries and tied us to some very uncomfortable release scheduling attributes in which we had to release the core platform with the desktop (and the applications).”
    http://aseigo.blogspot.de/2013/03/the-case-brand.html