Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radeon In Linux 3.11 Is Fantastic With PM, Sea Islands

Default Radeon In Linux 3.11 Is Fantastic With PM, Sea Islands

Phoronix: Radeon In Linux 3.11 Is Fantastic With PM, Sea Islands

The pull request for the Radeon DRM graphics driver changes for the Linux 3.11 kernel has been submitted. The open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver changes in this next kernel development cycle include dynamic power management (including ASPM) and support for Radeon HD 8000 "Sea Islands" graphics processors as the most prominent changes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5ODA

I don't see any substantially new information in this article. The title is misleading, it suggests that the new code has been tested and verified to be "fantastic" when in fact it's just repeating that the code has dropped.

Indeed. I was actually expecting some kind of benchmark.
    Anyway, I am looking forward to 3.11

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Radeon In Linux 3.11 Is Fantastic With PM, Sea Islands

The pull request for the Radeon DRM graphics driver changes for the Linux 3.11 kernel has been submitted. The open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver changes in this next kernel development cycle include dynamic power management (including ASPM) and support for Radeon HD 8000 "Sea Islands" graphics processors as the most prominent changes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5ODA
    That will be very nice.

The is great news for older AMD card owners too, which are only supported by the legacy catalyst driver, which is no longer updated to work with newer X.org,

Quote Originally Posted by newwen View Post
    The is great news for older AMD card owners too, which are only supported by the legacy catalyst driver, which is no longer updated to work with newer X.org,
    It would be great news, if it actually would work. For now, I am still stuck with an overheating laptop and manual powersaving, since the new dpm driver always runs my machine in performance mode. This is something that is to be expected, since this code is largely untested and of course will have problems.
    Have to wait for answer to that problem from a developer in the original thread about this topic, then we will see how great this is.

165 patches consisting of more than 52 thousand lines of code, just in the drm/radeon subsystem. Linus is going to have a heart attack when he sees that

Default R300

Does anyone know if the new power management code will also benefit older cards using the r300g driver?

Quote Originally Posted by arianon View Post
    Does anyone know if the new power management code will also benefit older cards using the r300g driver?
    I don't think so. The announcement said r600 and up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had something cooking internally, though, just like they do with older UVD chips. So far, AMD have been good about trying to support the whole range of hardware.

Perhaps it's not fully ready yet.

dynamic memory clock scaling
    Even with an external monitor?