Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mesa Looks To Take Use Of C11 Threading

Default Mesa Looks To Take Use Of C11 Threading

Phoronix: Mesa Looks To Take Use Of C11 Threading

Jose Fonseca is seeking comment from Mesa developers about possibly taking advantage of C language thread primitives that were introduced in the new C11 standard...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyODY

who uses LLVM pipe on windows ?
    I can think of maybe Chrome, when Hardware acceleration is not available...

Quote Originally Posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
    who uses LLVM pipe on windows ?
    I can think of maybe Chrome, when Hardware acceleration is not available...
    Aside from a VM or server, when is hardware acceleration not available in windows?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Aside from a VM or server, when is hardware acceleration not available in windows?
    When you don't have drivers installed (and disabled auto update, if on Win7+).

Or have obsolete drivers, which dont expose enough API's, and crash.

Looks like even gcc 4.8 doesn't support C11 threads. So the wrapper here may live for a long while still.

A lot of older Intel drivers on Windows are incredibly buggy. Especially OpenGL support.

And there are a lot of machines out there with outdated Intel drivers.

It's great to have a unify abstraction.
    I think using OpenMP is a better idea on LLVMpipe however.

@mayankleoboy and smitty
    If that's the case, you should not be running LLVM for graphics because chances are the CPU will struggle so badly the program won't be usable. IIRC, LLVM can barely play old games at 30FPS at lowest details on an i7. While LLVM isnt meant for gaming, a system where GPU drivers are faulty to the point of failure is likely to not have a CPU capable of LLVM.

But suppose in the off chance your proposed system did have a worthy CPU. Chances of someone with a system like that knowing LLVM exists is pretty slim.

Im not saying either of your answers are wrong, but I'm looking for a more realistic scenario.

@mayankleoboy and smitty
    If that's the case, you should not be running LLVM for graphics because chances are the CPU will struggle so badly the program won't be usable. IIRC, LLVM can barely play old games at 30FPS at lowest details on an i7. While LLVM isnt meant for gaming, a system where GPU drivers are faulty to the point of failure is likely to not have a CPU capable of LLVM.

But suppose in the off chance your proposed system did have a worthy CPU. Chances of someone with a system like that knowing LLVM exists is pretty slim.

Im not saying either of your answers are wrong, but I'm looking for a more realistic scenario.
    I believe at one time there was a project to provide WebGL support in Firefox through LLVM. As an extension, not the default. I'm not sure whatever happened to it.

I agree, LLVM isn't for playing games, it's way too slow for that purpose.