Canonical's Bazaar Still In Stagnant State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Everyone seem to be all hyped about Git, and it seems everyone is using Git these days.

Is Git the best revision system ever?
    Or is it just famous because Linus wrote it and Linux use it?
    There are good technological reasons for why Git is a good system. See this for a short overview: http://git-scm.com/book/en/Getting-S...ersion-Control

Oh, by the way, I looked it up, and the official git git repository is git://github.com/git/git.git. Now ICANN should allow a .git top-level domain and someone should register git.git, and put the repository on git://git.git/git/git.git

Comment

Originally posted by Tweenk View Post
      Bazaar has some important features:
      - Serverless operation. All you need to make a public repository is an SSH or FTP account. (Hg apparently also has this.)
      Well yeah, every modern source control system supports that. Distributed development is a fairly important feature these days.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Everyone seem to be all hyped about Git, and it seems everyone is using Git these days.

Is Git the best revision system ever?
        Or is it just famous because Linus wrote it and Linux use it?
        That's certainly a factor in how it got started, but no - that has little to with its current success, having spread to developers who have little knowledge or interest in Linus or Linux.

Mostly, I think it's for two reasons -
        1. While not everyone likes the interface, the design of the system itself is very, very good.
        2. Github. Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
          upstart was there years before systemd. And it has been working great so far.
          I never said systemd came before upstart did I. No I just said it failed, as in failed to become the dominate and most widely support init system. Sure it has some merits but now that Canonical is basically the only user of it upstream projects have no reason to support it, sysvinit and systemd. Most will choose to support systemd and barely support sysvinit for the sake of other unicies like HP-UX. Canonical could save a lot of effort by switching to systemd but they'll never do it because they refuse to use something they didn't create.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonimus View Post
            I never said systemd came before upstart did I. No I just said it failed, as in failed to become the dominate and most widely support init system. Sure it has some merits but now that Canonical is basically the only user of it upstream projects have no reason to support it, sysvinit and systemd. Most will choose to support systemd and barely support sysvinit for the sake of other unicies like HP-UX. Canonical could save a lot of effort by switching to systemd but they'll never do it because they refuse to use something they didn't create.
            No, they are not switching (yet) because systemd is something absolutely new and untested. Get your homework done, kid.

Comment

No, they are not switching (yet) because systemd is something absolutely new and untested. Get your homework done, kid.
              1. It does not say anywhere in that post you linked to (or the follow ups) that systemd is absolutely new and untested.
              2. You realize that the post you linked to is almost a year old?

Comment

New and untested? Yeah...Thats why Red Hat is shipping it in next version of RHEL.

Also, no where in that email thread does it say systemd is new and untested. Also its a year old at this point....its like youre trolling on accident, and thats sad.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                  You must be kidding. I can only repeat the numbers, Bazaar has currently 2081 open bugs, 212 of them are marked as high importance bugs. No maintenance needed? I don't think so.
                  Yeah, they ended up abandoning it, as I said.

Despite the many bug reports the system is actually incredibly stable. I've seen it in use at my university and it works very well. Not sure why they abandoned it to be honest but Git just kindof ate everything up really.

It's still perfectly good software and, despite the bugs, works extremely well. Most of which are minor and their importance is way overexaggerated - many of the bugs there are also just misconfiguration problems but because it's abandoned people report the same problem until the bug confirms itself automatically.

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Ishayu what the hell is your problem?? This isn't slander, check launchpad's own page for bzr, its been basically abandoned. Bugs arent being fixed, thats abandoned.
                  My problem is that I used to like this site but all I see on it nowadays is just Ubuntu bashing. Reporting on Mir and being critical is fine, but this article is basically pulling up something random, claiming all manner of BS about it, and using it as ammo against Canonical. Even if the whole Mir debacle is a mess - stick to that and shut up about Canonical if there are no news about it. Last I checked, this wasn't a bash Canonical blog, it was a free software and UNIX hardware blog and site, and I'd like to see it remain that way, thank you very much.

Of course I can't dictate to him what he should do, but if he keeps this up I will be leaving, and that would make me sad because that's a good site out the window.

Comment

Crazy Idea

Rewrite it to something more efficient than Python, like C (or if you like it, Genie/Vala)

Comment

There are 2 killer features to bzr for me:
                      - the cli commands are similar to svn (easy to teach to anyone, cause everybody already knows svn) (ok, hg has this too, but look at point 2)
                      - there is a neat, official GUI that is the same on all supported platforms

Bazaar is one of the few things that Canonical has done right.

Comment

Working...
                      X