Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking Ubuntu Linux On The Google Nexus 7

Phoronix: Benchmarking Ubuntu Linux On The Google Nexus 7

Last month I delivered extensive benchmarks of Ubuntu Linux on the Google Nexus 10 using the recently released Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview. In that article were benchmarks from the Samsung Exynos 5 Dual (Cortex-A15) tablet against a range of ARM Cortex and Intel/AMD x86 systems. This article builds upon those earlier Ubuntu Linux x86/ARM results by now adding in the results from Ubuntu on the Google Nexus 7 plus more comparison processors have been tossed into the mix as well. This article offers Ubuntu Linux performance results for a dozen different Intel, AMD, and ARM systems. The ARM SoCs represented are from Texas Instruments OMAP, NVIDIA Tegra, and ARM Exynos families.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nexus 10 does quiet well, and it's amazing how much more powerful it is over the Nexus 7.

Comment

What I mostly got from those slides is that the Atom is terrible, but It's nice to see an inexpensive ARM SoC finally catch up with ~2006 mainstream processing performance.

I'm getting really excited by the possibility that in 2014 AMD might release a 16 core (or more) 64-bit ARM A57 APU with a full HSA implementation on a ~20 nm process. It just sounds really awesome to me right now and I think AMD might be heading in that direction.

In the last year (I think) AMD founded the HSA foundation in collaboration with the big ARM silicon companies, has announced they plan to have a full HSA processor available in 2014, purchased an ARM license to produce their own Cortex A57 designs and while they've only come out and said they're for microservers they did leave the announcement ambiguous enough for the possibility of wondering about desktop solutions as well, and ARM has said in 2014 they will be using a 20 nm process at TSMC. Package all of this together with their amazing new GCN graphics architecture that use low power and offer higher computer performance and then there is possibly a very attractive ARM product for desktop use at a low ARM production price.

/rant
      Last edited by kenjitamura; 14 March 2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

The Samsung Exynos Dual really shows off what it's got! Need to compare it to the Qualcomm Krait (ie. Snapdragon S4 Pro) in the Nexus 4. Qualcomm's marketing material claim it to be an "A15 class" SoC; however, based upon my personal testing, I'd be surprised if it even were able to match the performance of the Tegra 3 (ie. Nexus 7).

Comment

Interesting results and good article.

PS: I'll disable AdBlock on your website when you stop having popbacks and every single ad being a potentually virus-infected "Lost 10kg in 3 weeks", "make 44,000$ from home" and other such ads and actually provide ads relevant to this site's content that aren't obnoxious.

Thank you.

Comment

Performance per dollar

A very interesting article once again.

For developers/enthusiasts thinking about a Google Nexus tablet for toying with Ubuntu or other Linux distributions on the hardware, I would definitely recommend the Nexus 10 over the Nexus 7 for the greater performance. The 16GB Nexus 10 carries a current price of $399 USD while the Nexus 7 pricing starts out at $199.
            So greater performance at 200% of the price? For "toying" with an alpha OS, surely the price is a consideration?

Comment

Working...
            X