Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Code Moves Along, Branches Begin Appearing

Phoronix: Mir Code Moves Along, Branches Begin Appearing

There's code being committed to the new Mir Display Server every few hours. There's also numerous Bazaar code branches appearing too that show early work on other functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For the moment, it looks like they put their money where their mouth is.
    Good for them. Let see what they come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
      For the moment, it looks like they put their money where their mouth is.
      Good for them. Let see what they come up with.
      I have no idea how fast these projects are moving, I'm not a developer. But the fact that there is so many big headliner items being worked on at once, such as multi-gpu support, seems postive. IMO, anyway.

P.S. If someone comes here and tries to argue with me over my opinion, I swear to god I'm going to track him or her down and make them eat a meat pie made with thier own loved ones.....

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        I have no idea how fast these projects are moving, I'm not a developer. But the fact that there is so many big headliner items being worked on at once, such as multi-gpu support, seems postive. IMO, anyway.

P.S. If someone comes here and tries to argue with me over my opinion, I swear to god I'm going to track him or her down and make them eat a meat pie made with thier own loved ones.....
        No it is good, but they are working on some of the hardest items all at once. Wayland is mostly done, multi-gpu support "Is a client problem." And reading a few of Mark's comments and michael's articles...Mir seems to be more X12 than "Something other than X." By that I mean, I've gotten the impression they are doing a lot of things server-side while Wayland makes the clients handle those things. One thing that did catch my eye was Server-Side Buffer Allocation for Mir, which Keith Packard actually specifically hit upon in his talk and it basically came down to: Thats a bad idea.

The problem is communicating that to a client at the appropriate time, its a synchronization problem. Its better to just let the client control their buffersize because they know what it should be. And thats actually whats being done in DRI3(000). DRI I think had client-side buffers, DRI2 moved it to the server, and now DRI3(000) is putting it back to the clients because it was actually the better idea.

If Mir can pull it off in a timely, efficient, and correct manner...good for them. But Wayland has a biiiiiiiig headstart, meanwhile Mir has some of the hardest issues to handle still ahead of them.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

"Hi we are Ubuntu and now you can develop for both desktop and mobile at once with Mir!"
          -"What does Ubuntu stand for?"
          "We are who we are, because of who we all-... wait..."
          -"Gotcha, mutherfscker!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            One thing that did catch my eye was Server-Side Buffer Allocation for Mir, which Keith Packard actually specifically hit upon in his talk and it basically came down to: Thats a bad idea.
            My understanding is that some ARM hardware limitations require this. But Wayland will allow you to do it if you want, (to the complete surprise of the Mir devs, who were clueless).

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              My understanding is that some ARM hardware limitations require this. But Wayland will allow you to do it if you want, (to the complete surprise of the Mir devs, who were clueless).
              No I know some ARM hardware does require it, but if ARM requires Server-Side allocation, and x86 should do Client-Side allocation, then Wayland has the right idea. Allow either, and you could ifdef the different paths depending on the architecture being compiled for, instead of mandating 1 way for both considering they require opposite implementations.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                "Hi we are Ubuntu and now you can develop for both desktop and mobile at once with Mir!"
                -"What does Ubuntu stand for?"
                "We are who we are, because of who we all-... wait..."
                -"Gotcha, mutherfscker!"
                In what way does this pretain too or assist the conversation? Your a disease.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  The hardware has no knowledge of whether a buffer request is coming from a "server" or a "client" in any window system protocol. This is a software issue (possibly in the proprietary drivers, forcing display server choices).

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    The hardware has no knowledge of whether a buffer request is coming from a "server" or a "client" in any window system protocol. This is a software issue (possibly in the proprietary drivers, forcing display server choices).
                    The hardware SHOULDNT matter, but there was a note in the Mir wiki (taking it with a grain of salt) that ARM hardware and client side buffers do have issues that for some reason server side buffers didnt have.

Comment

Working...
                    X