Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Day of Defeat Released For Linux

Phoronix: Valve's Day of Defeat Released For Linux

Valve's original Day of Defeat game and the Day of Defeat: Source titles are now in beta on Linux via the Steam client...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent work from Valve as per usual. The next Steam Client update will introduce Steam Runtime Support for the final SDL 2.0.

Comment

Glad to see they keep pushing forward with more releases, though I wish they would get to some of the games I really want to play and already own, namely the Portal and Left4Dead franchises. Need to pick up Half-Life 2 at some point when it goes on sale again for when that gets released.

Some other companies need to finally get their games out as well. I bought Lugaru HD and Little Inferno because their devs had stated they would have their games up on Steam in the near future (back in Dec/Jan). Lugaru has already been on Linux for ages now and Little Inferno was getting beta tested for Linux and Mac a month or two back.

Only 14 of the 86 games on my Steam account are Windows games that likely won't ever see a port, yet only 37 can be installed and played on Linux so far. Bit frustrating, but all I can do is wait and play what I already have access to.

Comment

Nice. Valve's SDL2 games work so brilliantly with window management and fullscreen mode, I wish all of the Steam Linux games used it. I hate dealing with fullscreen mode in so many of the games.

Comment

Is there any way to buy these games for Linux outside Steam?

Comment

DRM issue

Isn't that Conanicals new friend alongway the quiting linux philosophy and picking up the more money strategy. Why this good attitude to them? They don't have gpl license. Btw both mir and unity sucks. Conanical go to hell. Leave the linux world alone. We were better of living in caves with our bash!

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Is there any way to buy these games for Linux outside Steam?
              They require Steam to operate. Unlike most PC games, Steam is not just DRM - it is also used as a package manager, friends list and many networking tasks. It's used to find and join servers, monitor friends, join/invite friends, etc.

If you mean without running the client, you can buy them from their website (steampowered.com), but you'll need the client to download, install or play them.

Comment

Well I'm glad they are doing it, but I see no point in porting 10 years old game over...nobody plays that. I would love to see DotA2 on Linux more than any other game.

Comment

Originally posted by jan1024188 View Post
                  Well I'm glad they are doing it, but I see no point in porting 10 years old game over...nobody plays that. I would love to see DotA2 on Linux more than any other game.
                  I'm guessing the point of these old games being ported is a way to ease GPU devs into a more serious market. Linux likely isn't ready enough for games like HL2 without at least 1 driver having serious bugs, so they can build up a collection of games, show linux is a decent gaming market share, and have companies like AMD take their drivers more seriously. Also, Im sure these older games are functional with open source drivers on older hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by jan1024188 View Post
                    I've never played any Valve games before being invited into the Steam beta. I have bought several of their old titles over the past few months. I highly doubt I am the only one in that situation, so they are making money off those old titles they would have otherwise missed out on. I found the original Half-Life to be a real fun game despite its age and was very grateful for the chance to play it without Wine and I can totally see myself playing it again a few times down the line.

Comment

Working...
                    X