8.02, more than just crapware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.02, more than just crapware

It trashed my system. On fedora 8 I can't boot anymore other than to single user. First the driver didn't work, fine. Then uninstalled it and installed the previous one, but then that wasn't working either. Then after some total system lockups, it began freezing at "Starting system logger" during boot, now it's useless unless I can correct this. I might have to reinstall if I want fedora back.

So, great, you could even say that old "between keyboard and PC problem" expression, but I did everything by the book, so to speak, and the driver definitely scrambled something that I'm not familiar with. Thanks ATI.

I would guess it is a kernel module conflict on your system. You can use vesa instead of fglrx to get at least X back. Then try:

find /lib/modules -name fglrx.ko

To seek for installed modules, also

dkms status

can be helpfull.

Comment

The thing is that I uninstalled fglrx, there are no fglrx.ko anywhere, and the lockup happens regardless of the driver, be it "radeon" or "vesa". And changing to another kernel there doesn't change anything either. This is somewhere else, maybe it had something to do with the fsck after the lockups when it was running, but it's anyone's guess where the problem is. I already went through the common stuff I've seen in the past related to that.

Comment

My not-so-expert solution to this problem (when I was messing around with fglrx), was to remove all fglrx related packages (yum remove *fglrx*). If I then ran into problems starting X, I'd just delete xorg.conf, and reboot X (or the whole system). The config dialog would be triggered when X started with no xorg.conf, and it would pretty much reconfigure itself with default settings and using the radeon driver.

Not sure if you've already tried this, or if this will even work for you, but it might be worth a try.

Comment

Me too ...

Just installed 8.02 on a virgin FC8 install, and it never worked. fglrx loads fine, but takes down the kernel when you start X. Perhaps a clue in the logs:

syslog: [fglrx] GART Table is not in FRAME_BUFFER range

I downgraded to 8.40.4, and that virtuously crashes only the X server.

vesa works in 800x600 for me.

John
          Waiting on ATI since August '04

Comment

Update

Originally posted by veysey View Post
            Just installed 8.02 on a virgin FC8 install, and it never worked. fglrx loads fine, but takes down the kernel when you start X. Perhaps a clue in the logs:

syslog: [fglrx] GART Table is not in FRAME_BUFFER range

I downgraded to 8.40.4, and that virtuously crashes only the X server.

vesa works in 800x600 for me.

John
            Waiting on ATI since August '04
            Update:

Problem fixed by flashing my BIOS to the most current version. MB: Asus M2A-VM

Now, I can rail against the utter lack of xvideo support. WTF is this? No xvideo on avivo cards. No Texturedvideo on IGP boards. That's ridiculous ...

Comment

Hi Veysey;

The TexturedVideo Xv option should work on RS6xx if you turn it on in conf (and turn off VideoOverlay & OpenGLOverlay to be safe). Not sure if we have RS690 TexturedVideo on 64-bit OS yet. We don't really need TexturedVideo on the earlier IGP parts since they have the pre-Avivo overlay with full scaling and CSC in hardware.

For pre-5xx IGP parts turning TexturedVideo off and turning VideoOverlay on should give you the best Xv results.

Can you give me a bit more info re: what you mean by "no xvideo on avivo cards". The Avivo parts use TexturedVideo for Xv rather than the old style overlay, since starting with Avivo we moved to using shaders for video processing.
              Last edited by bridgman; 17 February 2008, 04:40 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Thanks for the reply

Hi bridgman,

Thanks for the quick, courteous, and informative reply. Perhaps more than I deserved given my belligerent tone! Thus mollified, I'll try to make this tread more constructive.

Hardware:
                Asus M2A-VM, with integrated RS690 (x1250) video card
                AMD 64 X2 BE 2400
                4GB ram (dual channel) corsair

An up-to-date clean FC8 install.

When I turn on TexturedVideo, I get the following error:
                "(WW) fglrx(0): Textured Video is currently not supported on IGP hardware."

When I turn on either VideoOverlay or OpenGLOverlay, I get the error:
                "(WW) fglrx(0): Video Overlay not supported on AVIVO based graphics cards."

I have no idea why that appears with OpenGLOverlay, as OpenGL seems to work when enabled.

If I enable both VideoOverlay and TexturedVideo, I get both errors simultaneously.

I infer from what you wrote ("Not sure if we have RS690 TexturedVideo on 64-bit OS yet.") that this is a 64-bit problem, and I'm daring to hope that TexturedVideo might give me xv support in a future release. The "currently not supported" also helps me hope.

Thanks for explaining the distinction between TexturedVideo and overlay used on earlier cards. (I'm using a Radeon 9600 in another machine).

In reply to ...
                "Can you give me a bit more info re: what you mean by "no xvideo on avivo cards". The Avivo parts use TexturedVideo for Xv rather than the old style overlay, since starting with Avivo we moved to using shaders for video processing."

I hope the error messages from Xorg.0.log quoted above give you the information you need. Let me know if I can be of further assistance, as I'm keen to see TexturedVideo working !

This isn't particularly relevant to what you wrote, but in case someone else is having hardlockups: I think the error (which was corrected with a BIOS update) is connected with improper access to two channel ram. The BIOS version giving me trouble was "1201". I used the latest version (1604?) to fix it. Worked well with easyflash.

John

Comment

Thanks -- now it makes sense. It looks like we aren't supporting TexturedVideo for 690 on 64-bit OS yet. The 690 has a different 3d engine from the rest of the Avivo parts so it ended up being the last to pick up TexturedVideo support. TexturedVideo for 690 has not been released yet but it does seem to be working on 32-bit OSes, albeit with some tearing.

My dim understanding of OpenGLOverlay is that it's not intended for video at all, but is there to support workstation applications which require a transparent full-screen overlay which could hold different info than the main drawing surface. Last time I played with workstation apps the overlay was used for menus, status messages and fancy cursors (eg the cursor could be as big as the screen), making it possible for the entire screen to be used for viewing whatever you happened to be working on.

I don't *think* video playback through OpenGL has anything to do with OpenGLOverlay but I have not confirmed this.

also John
                  Last edited by bridgman; 18 February 2008, 12:32 AM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Then I'll be patient

Ah ... your explanation of OpenGLOverlay makes perfect sense, and clears up some longstanding confusion on my part.

Fortunately, OpenGL seems fully functional, and works for video rendering, so I can wait patiently for TexturedVideo.

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, but I'm grateful for your presence on these forums. I've been running on AMD and ATI for quite a while, and there have been times when I've felt abandoned (atlhough new drivers are working better on the older 9600 as well). Running into problems after purchasing new hardware made me frustrated. But getting a response AND an explanation of the problem makes me think I made a good purchase decision.

Keep up the good work and tell consumer relations to pay you a bonus!

John

Comment

Working...
                    X