GNOME Will Move Full-Speed With Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Del_ View Post
    First of all, thanks for all your great work on Gnome. It is highly appreciated! I have to admit that I did not follow the process around Canonical's relationship with Gnome prior to the start of Unity closely, but I did catch some reports and impressions around the Internet. Firstly, Ubuntu seemed to do wonders for the Gnome desktop with numerous patches, the most prominent Gnome version in this respect I believe is in Ubuntu 10.04. These patches seemed to have a hard time being accepted upstream in Gnome (again my perception, I did not follow this process closely). Could you shed some light on this? Did Canonical have a hard time getting their improvements accepted upstream in Gnome2?
    Depends on how the work was done: If you submit patches, then everyone is treated the same way. Big changes need to be discussed, etc. If you develop something for 6 months and then submit a patch, the change of it being accepted is lower. Likely the maintainer has a different idea, etc.

Canonical is and will not be treated any different than any other contributor. Meaning: Sometimes happens that people forget about patches, while at the same time respond more quickly to a patch from a familiar name. That is just the way things go. But if someone pretty much dumps some code without discussing things beforehand, then likely the maintainer will have a different idea on how things should've been implemented. Which increases the chance that the patch is either ignored (because it is massive) or rejected for needing more work (because maintainer doesn't want it that way).

Easy ways to ensure your patches are accepted: Discuss beforehand, become a "known" person, become a maintainer. Pretty much the same as in any other free software project.

Within GNOME, maintainers have a lot of decision power (which is logical IMO as usually the maintainer will end up supporting the code).

PS: There have been some huge controversies in the past regarding this, 2.x timeframe. At the same time, IIRC there also have various contributions that were accepted outright.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
      What if Wayland moves its ass once for all? It is almost vaporware.
      Its not vaporware, wayland/weston has been fully usable/testable for ages, download rebeccablackos and try it yourself. The things blocking it from adoption are this:

1. EGL drivers

2. DE's like gnome and kde porting to wayland

Until AMD/Nvidia release an EGL driver wayland will be OSS drivers only, and until gnome and KDE finish porting to wayland its rather pointless to adopt it into a distro which is why it hasn't happened yet... once gnome and kde support wayland we will see cutting edge distros support it optionally, we probably won't see it used by default in "major" distros until their is driver support from nvidia/amd.

Comment

I HAVE THIS FEELING

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Doubling down with words at least.
          List of GNOME apps already working under Wayland before the Mir announcement:

Obviously even if some application works, it does not mean it is the same experience, which is why the support is planned over 2 releases.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Doubling down with words at least.
            words is all canonical has too. at this point mir barely does anything and is far less functional/complete than wayland. yet canonical claims they can have mir finished, have backends for GTK/QT finished, have unity totally rewritten in QT5/QML and ported to mir by 2014? Don't make me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
              Its not vaporware, wayland/weston has been fully usable/testable for ages, download rebeccablackos and try it yourself. The things blocking it from adoption are this:

1. EGL drivers

2. DE's like gnome and kde porting to wayland

Until AMD/Nvidia release an EGL driver wayland will be OSS drivers only, and until gnome and KDE finish porting to wayland its rather pointless to adopt it into a distro which is why it hasn't happened yet... once gnome and kde support wayland we will see cutting edge distros support it optionally, we probably won't see it used by default in "major" distros until their is driver support from nvidia/amd.
              I'm sure you can try it in Arch or Fedora also. I think both has Wayland and Weston in the regular repo and has at least gtk support added as default.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
                Depends on how the work was done: If you submit patches, then everyone is treated the same way. Big changes need to be discussed, etc. If you develop something for 6 months and then submit a patch, the change of it being accepted is lower. Likely the maintainer has a different idea, etc.

Canonical is and will not be treated any different than any other contributor. Meaning: Sometimes happens that people forget about patches, while at the same time respond more quickly to a patch from a familiar name. That is just the way things go. But if someone pretty much dumps some code without discussing things beforehand, then likely the maintainer will have a different idea on how things should've been implemented. Which increases the chance that the patch is either ignored (because it is massive) or rejected for needing more work (because maintainer doesn't want it that way).

Easy ways to ensure your patches are accepted: Discuss beforehand, become a "known" person, become a maintainer. Pretty much the same as in any other free software project.

Within GNOME, maintainers have a lot of decision power (which is logical IMO as usually the maintainer will end up supporting the code).

PS: There have been some huge controversies in the past regarding this, 2.x timeframe. At the same time, IIRC there also have various contributions that were accepted outright.
                Yeah, I love how canonical keeps playing the victim card whenever upstream doesn't accept their work (see marks recent comments on G+ for this), like everyone is ganging up to blacklist canonical from upstream, when it turns out that nearly everytime they try to push something upstream their process is: totally develop thing privately with zero input or knowlege from upstream project and then chuck the code over the wall and expect upstream to just go along with it. What kind of reaction do they honestly expect when they do that?

Comment

What if Canonical is bluffing and Mir's only purpose is to speed up Wayland deployment?

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                    I'm sure you can try it in Arch or Fedora also. I think both has Wayland and Weston in the regular repo and has at least gtk support added as default.
                    And now that I think about it, I can see fedora possibly adopting wayland by default even without proprietary driver support, fedora really isn't a distro to give a crap about proprietary drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                      I am pretty sure even X doesn't have that, or did Torvald cursing Nvidia actually had an effect I never heard of ? Cause if yes, I want the solution, my thinkpad would appreciate it. =p
                      It was one of the major features of xserver 1.13.x:
                      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                      X