GNOME Will Move Full-Speed With Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Yes I know. I was too. And it was shit. Ubuntu was clearly the way forward. They did a big push towards usability for the end user. And they still do. But now they have to leave some parts of the community back since they are no longer contributing to the end user but holding them back. So they have to roll on their own. Of course that means taking control of more and more technology from the linux stack. The direction the community is going isn't the one that the end user likes and wants. And Canonical knows it.
    Does Shuttleworth's ballsack fit all the way in your mouth or does some of it spill over?

Seriously, where do you get this idea that there's some kind of distinction between "community" and "end user"? They're the one and the same. The community is comprised of end users, not all of them actively participate but the ones who do form the core community.

I guess some people just don't appreciate the model of freedom that free software provides. It's a model where everyone can potentially contribute and have some influence on the direction of it - we don't need personality cults here. We don't need a pope, a president, or a patriarch. We don't need slippery snake-oil salesmen or their marketing-speak.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      Does Shuttleworth's ballsack fit all the way in your mouth or does some of it spill over?

Seriously, where do you get this idea that there's some kind of distinction between "community" and "end user"? They're the one and the same. The community is comprised of end users, not all of them actively participate but the ones who do form the core community.

I guess some people just don't appreciate the model of freedom that free software provides. It's a model where everyone can potentially contribute and have some influence on the direction of it - we don't need personality cults here. We don't need a pope, a president, or a patriarch. We don't need slippery snake-oil salesmen or their marketing-speak.
      Yeah that's worked out well the past 15+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Yeah that's worked out well the past 15+ years.
        Yes it certainly has..The fact that this community exists at all today is a testament to just how well it actually does work. Certainly you can agree that the breadth off OSS software would not exist if it was controlled by a single proprietary vendor.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher583
          do you need the driver to support wayland even if you running just xwayland on top?
          Of course. You can't run *anything* on top of Wayland if you can't run Wayland...

Comment

we should have Wayland adoption in no time now

Comment

Yes I know. I was too. And it was shit.
              Compared to what?

Ubuntu was clearly the way forward. They did a big push towards usability for the end user. And they still do.
              I am not going to deny that many things have actually improved over the past ten years, but to give this credit exclusively to Ubuntu is short-sighted and pig headed.

If I think of the things that have. in the end, improved my Linux desktop experience immensely (NetworkManager, PulseAudio, systemd, R600g, ext4, better system drivers, certain desktop improvements, etc) I see very little of Canonical's own handy-work. Now, I do not use Ubuntu and never did so I of course do not see things they only put into their own distro, but unless they make things that everyone want's I am hardly going to concede that they are a clear leader or the coming of the next messiah.

But now they have to leave some parts of the community back since they are no longer contributing to the end user but holding them back. So they have to roll on their own. Of course that means taking control of more and more technology from the linux stack. The direction the community is going isn't the one that the end user likes and wants. And Canonical knows it.
              It may not be one you like, but you are not the only Linux user. That is why we need healthy communities - it helps prevent some of this narrow-mindedness.

Comment

Valve is now coming to Ubuntu, not to arch, and if there wasn't Ubuntu we probably wouldn't have had Steam on linux right now. They made linux more popular and now corporations turn their attention to desktop linux.
                Except they have already updated their license, even before the beta was done, to make it easy for any distro to distribute Steam through their repos. The reason Valve are moving to Linux is all about their attempts to cheat death over the next decade as Windows starts walling in their garden as well as getting a free OS with minimal work for their console ambitions. The fact they went to Ubuntu first only has to do with Ubuntu having the largest Linux marketshare, especially when you include in derivatives.

Ubuntu has definitely made Linux more visible and a bit more accessible for noobs in recent years, there is no denying that, but deserved credit ends right about there.

Comment

Yeah Canonical sucks I know. Need I remember you that if there was no Ubuntu and all you had was Arch and that Slackware shit or fedora linux would still only be on servers? They actually did a lot for linux. In fact I know people, non-techies, who wouldn't touch linux, but they use Ubuntu for browsing and basic stuff that they do. Why? Cause they installed Ubuntu and it worked for them. Ubuntu is a noob friendly distro and it's a great way to convince people to try linux. For that in itself you should thank Canonical. Valve is now coming to Ubuntu, not to arch, and if there wasn't Ubuntu we probably wouldn't have had Steam on linux right now. They made linux more popular and now corporations turn their attention to desktop linux. That is a great thing. They already changed desktop linux and they will only continue to change it more. They realize how stupid and arrogant these so called community leaders are and how unfocused on usability they are and take charge and do things for the end user. If that means writing their own desktop server so be it. It takes balls not to compromise and strike out on your own, but you wouldn't know about it.
                  I thanked Cononical for Steam, really I did.

The thing you're not getting, that you can't grasp. Redhat (and it's spawn like Mandrake) made splashes before Ubuntu existed by many years. Debian isn't one of the longest running Linux distros because of Ubuntu. Would we have steam? Eh, probably not. 90% of the others things? Yeah I think so. I said it before I thought when the RPM came out Linux was going to take over... Now you have your messiah and we still are in the shallow end of the pool. I think Google is the savior of Linux to be honest, Android is king and Chrome will probably get more users than Ubuntu in short order. Call me a liar, or try and prove me wrong. You will eat your words and fail. I have gleened the future and $$$ runs it. Google has pockets that make Cononical look like (chump) change.

All hail Google, the almighty Linux savior.... *Continues to run irrelevant distros....."Weeeee!"*

Comment

Yeah Canonical sucks I know. Need I remember you that if there was no Ubuntu and all you had was Arch and that Slackware shit or fedora linux would still only be on servers? They actually did a lot for linux. In fact I know people, non-techies, who wouldn't touch linux, but they use Ubuntu for browsing and basic stuff that they do. Why? Cause they installed Ubuntu and it worked for them. Ubuntu is a noob friendly distro and it's a great way to convince people to try linux. For that in itself you should thank Canonical. Valve is now coming to Ubuntu, not to arch, and if there wasn't Ubuntu we probably wouldn't have had Steam on linux right now. They made linux more popular and now corporations turn their attention to desktop linux. That is a great thing. They already changed desktop linux and they will only continue to change it more. They realize how stupid and arrogant these so called community leaders are and how unfocused on usability they are and take charge and do things for the end user. If that means writing their own desktop server so be it. It takes balls not to compromise and strike out on your own, but you wouldn't know about it.
                    There were noob friendly distros before ubuntu, everyone wasn't running shit like arch or slackware, so get your history straight.

Comment

• Follow the developers

This announcement is just answering questions about the effect Ubuntu has on other projects. Wayland is the more interesting project, being both more mature than Mir and, well, motivated in the interest of making good software with the hope that it will become popular based on its merits. Mir is squarely in the Canonical ecosystem, which is fine as long as they're passionate about it. Someone will have to lead the way and it won't be easy.

Comment

Working...
                      X