GNOME Will Move Full-Speed With Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadsRH View Post
    And they are aiming at spring 2014! Does that mean that if Mir wasn't announced there wouldn't be a usable Wayland display server one year from now? I really do understand why Canonnical couldn't keep on waiting for it to ship.
    Actually we're aiming for September 2013 for a beta release, April 2014 = stable. Though probably a more conservative distribution will maybe wait a little bit more before they change.

If max 2.000 people at GNOME cannot find any bugs anymore, that does not mean it'll be stable when used by a huge distribution. 1000x the users = discovery of way more bugs. So September 2013 something initial, April 2014 I expect a distribution like Fedora to help out with testing, but conservative distributions probably wait a bit longer (openSUSE, Debian).

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      If KDE pulls the same stunt
      They already stated that their will be no official support as long as Ubuntu is the only distribution that uses Mir (no distro specific patches).
      and Canonical does nothing about it
      What should they do, aim a gun at the developers heads?
      and tries to force me to use Unity
      What should they do, aim a gun at your head?
      than it looks like I'll be on 12.04 for a long time to come
      The only logical conclusion: I don't like the decisions they make, so I stay with them instead of changing to something that supports my aims. /irony

Comment

Originally posted by MadsRH View Post
        And they are aiming at spring 2014! Does that mean that if Mir wasn't announced there wouldn't be a usable Wayland display server one year from now? I really do understand why Canonnical couldn't keep on waiting for it to ship.
        Really?

This Mir "project" just shows that Cannonical and/or the engineers working for them seem to be incapable to communicate and collaborate with other projects... you know, the things that make open source great in the first place. Hell, it looks like they can't even communicate to their users/community, downgrading them to consumers.

What if they would have talked to Wayland devs and contributed to it? You might be running Wayland right now instead of sometime next year.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          X.org is and has always been my friend.
          Both Gnome and KDE plan to support both Wayland and X.org in their future releases (in both toolkits and compositors).

Comment

great news lokking forward to see gnome

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              The only logical conclusion: I don't like the decisions they make, so I stay with them instead of changing to something that supports my aims. /irony
              You expect people to be logical on Phoronix???

This is the biggest tinfoil hat wearing group I know!

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                See Mir is a good thing, we should have Wayland adoption in no time now =).
                I was thinking the same thing. Unity Desktop exists partially due to the Gnome team's very odd design choices. Maybe Mir will motivate them to make more Gnome usable and less mousable; give us back all those features they removed.

Comment

Originally posted by zerothis View Post
                  I was thinking the same thing. Unity Desktop exists partially due to the Gnome team's very odd design choices. Maybe Mir will motivate them to make more Gnome usable and less mousable; give us back all those features they removed.
                  That's odd, because Canonical did the same thing with Unity: Developed it internally, never communicated.

We had a design hackfest where Canonical did their own meetings.

So interesting that you seem to have more knowledge about this... care to cite your references?

Comment

Canonical wants Ubuntu OS. They want a product that will stand apart from the sea of Linux distros in the eyes of the consumer. They are doing a fine job of distancing themselves from the rest of the pack so far.

Comment

Regardless of whether you prefer wayland or mir, both are currently lacking a certain amount of what some would call essential functionality in comparison to X. Off the top of my head:
                      - Multi-GPU support
                      - Hybrid laptop (PowerXpress, Optimus) support
                      - modeswitching API
                      - multi-display API
                      These are obviously not insurmountable, but still a lot of work. Just something to keep in mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X