Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Radeon HD 7850 DirectCU

Phoronix: ASUS Radeon HD 7850 DirectCU

Up for review today is the ASUS Radeon HD 7850 1GB DirectCU graphics card. This "Windows 8 Ready" AMD Radeon graphics card is being benchmarked under Ubuntu Linux and compared to an assortment of AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How can the 7850 OC be more than twice as fast in Unigine Tropics v1.3 in 1920x1080 when 2560p shows the expected difference after overclocking???

Comment

Minor complaint, but can't their be benchmarks done with games from Steam? Prey? Quake 3? Think we need some games that throw a little more stress out there.

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck
        > Using the Radeon HD 7850 graphics card with the open-source driver at this point would be borderline insanity.

I object to that, having run the open driver stack since last year. But I have to admit it was only because fglrx didn't work with my configuration (7850, Debian wheezy, 4 monitors.)

The open stack worked quite well after I figured it out with help from Alex and Michel. It's good enough for daily work and it's stable but I can't say anything about game performance.
        You bought a middle end graphics card yet you don't play games? What are you, Phenom user? :P

Originally posted by Dukenukemx
        Minor complaint, but can't their be benchmarks done with games from Steam? Prey? Quake 3? Think we need some games that throw a little more stress out there.
        Quake 3 is ridiculously inexpensive on the GPU; the Unigine benchmarks and Xonotic are much more demanding.

/me would like to see Sauerbraten/Red Eclipse/Tesseract benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          I used to complain about this, but i came to a realization.

Phoronix is not a site about benchmarking linux or graphics.

It's a site about showing off PTS.

Which means, if PTS can't do it, it's not getting on Phoronix.

Comment

I did some initial tests with TF2 but without PTS. The problem i see is that you need overrides for all quality settings otherwise it is not compareable across other systems. As you can parse a log file it should be possible to integrate TF2 into pts. It is just not that much fun as the load times are really long.

Comment

Something is seriously wrong the nVidia 460 / 550Ti results.
              Last time I checked, my aging 470GTX ran the Heaven benchmark (w/o PTS) at ~30fps at 2560x1440... far, far from 4fps under 1280x1024.
              Granted, my Xeon workstation has more CPU power than the test-bed machine, but 4FPS!??!?!

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Don't worry, there are some bogus results (see my post above) and Michael does not seem to care or comment....

Comment

@gilboa

Same Heaven version? You see the recent update to it slowed it down a lot with more eye candy.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    @gilboa

Same Heaven version? You see the recent update to it slowed it down a lot with more eye candy.
                    Not sure.
                    How recent?
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                    X