No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Developing Its Own Calculator, Calendar, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to say it again: Ubuntu = Linux. You see if happening right here, right now.

Canonical is making a play to take over Linux development, plain and simple. And I view this as a good thing. With a single, unifying force, [s]Linux[/s] Ubuntu might become a legitimate challenge to Windows/OSX.

Comment

Unclear future

When I got known with Ubuntu Linux distribution years ago, it was a collection of famous open-source software, that most of people were happy with. What we see now, is that they are making their own legacy software (similar to HTC and Samsung on their Android phones), that easily can paralyzes their ability to choose the best software. Many consider systemd superior to upstart, but since the latter is Canonical's own pet project, they have stuck with it. Gnome 3 and KDE are not perfect, but Unity is equally "strange" too.

Well, we have all those Kubuntus, Linux Mints, and whatever because people are not happy with Canonical's way. I wouldn't be suprised, if the trend becomes stronger in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
        .. With a single, unifying force, [s]Linux[/s] Ubuntu might become a legitimate challenge to Windows/OSX.
        Not as long as they continue suffering from their Python diarrhea. It's funny how their PR staff says they're so concerned about performance they're about to count CPU & GPU cycles (which is an idiotic statement, really) yet they use Python for core stuff like software center, update manager etc.
        Last edited by mark45; 12 March 2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Are you serious?

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Will these apps only work on Ubuntu?

Will Ubuntu still be able to run software not written in the Ubuntu SDK?
          These questions have been asked and answered so many times its not funny.....

1) No
          2) Yes

Source: www.google.com

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            Not as long as they continue suffering from their Python diarrhea. It's funny how their PR staff says they're so concerned about performance they're about to count CPU & GPU cycles (which is an idiotic statement, really) yet they use Python for core stuff like software center, update manager etc.
            They are currently working on bringing Ubuntu Phone/Touch up to speed, which obviously will not use the desktop apps like Software Center and Software Update, but expect them to rewrite basicly everything for the desktop, too, in Qt/QML afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              These questions have been asked and answered so many times its not funny.....

1) No
              2) Yes

Source: www.google.com
              Right, all that Ubuntu are doing is provide an API/SDK, and port some basic apps to use it. Simple self consistency. The FOSS world has lots of APIs for app development (Qt, KDE, Gtk, Gnome, etc). This is just one more. If anybody else does it, we call it a good thing, because it adds to the diversity. But, if Ubuntu does it, it is evil, because, well, because they are popular?

Goggle fscking did it with ChromeOS and Android, and it's all open source and celebrated, at least by me, and they are doing quite well. It might be smarter for Ubuntu to team up with Google and _extend_ what google provides, but who am I to tell. The future will tell. Best luck to the fine Ubuntu folks in this!

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                Goggle fscking did it with ChromeOS and Android, and it's all open source and celebrated, at least by me, and they are doing quite well. It might be smarter for Ubuntu to team up with Google and _extend_ what google provides, but who am I to tell. The future will tell. Best luck to the fine Ubuntu folks in this!
                Google didn't betray their existing userbase(Desktop users) to target another entirely different userbase(smartphone users). And also, Google didn't create fragmentation in key parts of the Free software stack. They created something new.

Canonical is evil, it is now official!

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  Google didn't betray their existing userbase(Desktop users) to target another entirely different userbase(smartphone users). And also, Google didn't create fragmentation in key parts of the Free software stack. They created something new.

Canonical is evil, it is now official!
                  Your statement neither makes sense nor is it true.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                    Your statement neither makes sense nor is it true.
                    It is true and it does make sense, just no to Canonical PR and fanbois

Comment

While I am very disquieted and concerned about much of Canonical's recent efforts, this is not one of them. I honestly do not care at all if the are working on another calculator.

Comment

Working...
                      X