Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIA Launches Its Own ARM Development Board

Default VIA Launches Its Own ARM Development Board

Phoronix: VIA Launches Its Own ARM Development Board

The latest company now offering low-cost ARM development boards for pushing their platform to ARM Linux and Android developers is VIA Technologies. VIA claims their new Springboard platform is "the fast path from prototype to production" and only costs $100 USD, but the specifications aren't all that impressive...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwMDE

VIA is one of handful of companies with x86 license
    having both architectures in the same package will help them differentiate and sell

For people who care about the overall price, the MK802II or MK808 are much better than the raspberry pi.

VIA seems pretty doomed to me. They had a chance to really get somewhere 10 years ago but now I think it's too late. The really scary thing is, to me, VIA is to AMD as AMD is to Intel. I'd like VIA to get more success, but their price vs performance ratio is terrible. The only thing I found particularly appealing about their ARM boards is their abundance of host USB ports, good DDR3 memory, and sometimes PCI-e slots. Those are pretty nice features for ARM.

Thumbs up that crap

a lot better for same price :
    http://store.r0ck.me/products/cubiet...h-with-wifi-bt

Dual core A7, sata, Gigabit Ethernet, 2go Ram, 89$ etc...

isn't it strange that the raspberry pi is still the fastest board for the buck you can buy? why can't we see a nice dual core board cortex a9 under the 100$ range? we have cortex a15, it should be a fairly old tech by now...

Quote Originally Posted by sireangelus View Post
    isn't it strange that the raspberry pi is still the fastest board for the buck you can buy? why can't we see a nice dual core board cortex a9 under the 100$ range? we have cortex a15, it should be a fairly old tech by now...
    No, it isn't. There are PLENTY of dual core cortex A9 boards under $100, including several of the ones mentioned in this topic. RPi is actually one of the WORST values in terms of price vs performance. The fact that it has a linux-functioning GPU is what gives it a slight edge over many of the Mali based systems.

The manual says it uses an WM8950 Cortex-A9 processor, so it might have an mali-400 GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    The manual says it uses an WM8950 Cortex-A9 processor, so it might have an mali-400 GPU.
    hmm, it is Mali. Unless VIA helps with the lima drivers or expects this device to only run android, they're probably not going to get far. I personally have had terrible luck with Mali chips, on 2 unrelated platforms.

Gigabit Ethernet would have been a nice touch

cubieboard2 and the cubietruck look nice.
    They have a sata port
    Too bad you gotta order from china to get them, or atleast any US place is out of stock.

I get the feeling that next year we're gonna see some really exciting arm products.