Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Comes Up With A Linux Graphics Driver Installer

Phoronix: Intel Comes Up With A Linux Graphics Driver Installer

To make it easier to update your open-source Intel Linux graphics driver, Intel's Open-Source Technology Center has come out with a "Graphics Driver Installer" for this open-source stack, but will it work?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well this should make oibaf's job easier, now he can remove the intel packages and concentrate on open source ati drivers which he does so well.

Comment

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Arch!

(Sorry, had to >.>)
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Excellent

This is something I've thought to be necessary for a long time.

The repository will always be the best/linux-y way to deal with this, but the fact of the matter is that most users are accustomed to stand alone installers for seemingly disconnected items, and they should be available in the FOSS world too. Intel's chosen way of dealing with this is to make a "stand alone installer" which appears to stand alone, but calls up the distribution's repository manager to do the install. This might be the best way of all to handle this.

Thank you, Intel.
        Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 11 March 2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I installed this on fedora 18 and it seemed to work fine, didn't really update much of anything though, still not running the newest 2.21.4 driver
          Last edited by bwat47; 11 March 2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

This package is of bad quality

Lintian check results for /home/zxcvbn/Downloads/intel-linux-graphics-installer_1.0_amd64.deb:
            E: intel-linux-graphics-installer: malformed-deb-archive found 4 members instead of 3

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
              This package is of bad quality

Lintian check results for /home/zxcvbn/Downloads/intel-linux-graphics-installer_1.0_amd64.deb:
              E: intel-linux-graphics-installer: malformed-deb-archive found 4 members instead of 3
              So you're mad because one of the devs put a 3 instead of a 4? Maybe it was a last minute change *shrugs* if there's a bug reporter for the package, then drop a report and be done with it.

Comment

Interesting. I remember the last time I tried updating Intel drivers - X just wouldn't start afterwards... So hopefully they can add support for openSUSE as well sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  So you're mad because one of the devs put a 3 instead of a 4? Maybe it was a last minute change *shrugs* if there's a bug reporter for the package, then drop a report and be done with it.
                  "This package is of bad quality" is an error that ubuntu software center gave him. Ubuntu checks deb packages and if it doesn't meet "standards" USC will tell you its of "bad quality"

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                    "This package is of bad quality" is an error that ubuntu software center gave him. Ubuntu checks deb packages and if it doesn't meet "standards" USC will tell you its of "bad quality"
                    Oh, didn't know that haha. Thanks for the update bwat, I haven't used Ubuntu since... 10.10 I think lol

Comment

Working...
                    X