Plasma 2 With KDE Frameworks 5 Looks Awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gedgon View Post
    And when exactly (OpenGL composited) KWin offloading CPU for windows management under X? Since backing store is here, it uses more CPU cycles even for moving windows.
    I'm not completely sure what you were trying to say ? seems one or more words are missing. Fact is, the X process uses lots of CPU power when moving windows without compositing (on my hardware ~40%). With compositing and despite the use of several effects (shadow, fade, and transparency) the X process stays around 4% with a short spike to 8%.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      I'm not completely sure what you were trying to say ? seems one or more words are missing. Fact is, the X process uses lots of CPU power when moving windows without compositing (on my hardware ~40%). With compositing and despite the use of several effects (shadow, fade, and transparency) the X process stays around 4% with a short spike to 8%.
      Your graphics drivers sux then.

From x.org old docs:
      5.15. Option ``backingstore''
      This is not specifically a driver option. It is used to enable the server's support for backing store, a mechanism by which pixel data for occluded window regions is remembered by the server thereby alleviating the need to send expose events to X clients when the data needs to be redisplayed.
      On nvidia card, it's 2-3% single 1.6Ghz Sandy Bridge core (when uncomposited, of course)

Comment

Weeeell, this thread sure took a surprising turn. Ponies and /a/ discussion here?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          I've seen most of the stuff you listed, I only listed the stuff I was able to watch as a kid as that is what Ericg was implying was in his list. Nobody here had the internet at home when I was a kid, hell I was one of the only people that had a computer at home at the time, having dumpster dived and repaired a 286SX and a 486DX when I was 12. The VHS tapes where too expensive at $30 each at the Suncoast so we had Toonami at the one kid who's parents had cable TV with the package that had Cartoon Network and what little we could manage to agree on watching on school computers with incredibly an slow connection that half the time someone either killed the download or turned the machine off, they where setup so that they reverted back to a clean state at boot so nothing could be saved. None of the comps had burners or Zip drives and none of us could afford one at those times anyways. Only option was 1.44Mb floppy disks.

So yeah, as a kid our viewing options where limited, but you could find allot of really crappy animes on other channels that we could get with OTA or basic cable.
          mm, I had the fortune of having an older brother who was interested in it and a library that stocked the tapes, manga, and later DVDs which got around the cost issue so what I listed in that first list was the stuff I watched through my childhood and teenage years, and yeah the OTA selection was very limited and generally very meh although there was some good western animation through the 90s and maybe up to the early to mid 2000s such as batman beyond and redwall.

Still though to consider the titles he listed good indicates he hasn't really watched much of anything beyond the popular stuff which tends to be mostly shonen-jump which is well.... shonen-jump.. and there's still good stuff still being made you just have to be looking at more than "What's popular?"
          Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 12 March 2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeno View Post
            Maybe not exactly FPS style, but it's something big corps were thinking about. IIRC Apple even filled some patent papers for cube-like 3D desktop with windows free-floating inside. With advanced controlers like kinect it even could make a sense for mediacenter and likes.
            Just think you could manipulate windows and it's content just like real objects with gestures of hands.
            Mm.. but just think about the possibilities... I mean your desktop could basically become a game engine and there could be game modules available through GHNS and say you need to work on something you just throw Qt Creator or whatever on a surface and work on it while you're "in game" and if they can make it use telepathy you can have multiplayer capability, you could make HUDs out of plasmoids and yeah... it might not be that productive but people like myself would use it, and you'd get a lot of people drawn in using it because it's just awesome tech and fun.
            Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 12 March 2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

If only they could also make user interfaces which didn't sucked, (I don't know what I think about the tightly integrated software dependencies either) and a decent media player. JuK works fine for music but what about video? That new music player on S I haven't tried because there's no opensuse packages for it (it's not a KDE application either, but it's written with Qt at least.)

Wobbling and transparencies doesn't make a good UI.

Comment

Originally posted by aliquis View Post
                If only they could also make user interfaces which didn't sucked, (I don't know what I think about the tightly integrated software dependencies either) and a decent media player. JuK works fine for music but what about video? That new music player on S I haven't tried because there's no opensuse packages for it (it's not a KDE application either, but it's written with Qt at least.)

Wobbling and transparencies doesn't make a good UI.
                Kaffeine has been the best tv recording experience I've had on Linux. At least that I can get my grandmother to use. tvheadend is way too complex and Myth is a buggy mess.

For video playback I just use VLC. It uses qt as well. Though I also use Clementine for music.

Comment

I fully know that, there is still no positive from a user's point of view. Big deal you made it "more maintainable" for a dev, it changed nothing for the better for the end users.

What it ends up doing, even though it's supposed to use no GPU power on a modern GPU it does however kill off all those marginal systems where the CPU and Ram are enough but the Intel or SiS or S3 GPU on the mobo is incapable of running the distro. To me this is a massive travesty for those people in poor regions even in first world countries since they cannot be moved over to Linux. Telling them to get new hardware is not an option nor is it an option for them to build old versions of X from source on Gentoo as their first ever distro.

And for those of us that have modern fast machines? Still no advantage over old desktops, you saw it with Windows Metro, KDE4 and Gnome3. People don't like them and for good reason, they are terrible user experiences. On the technical side, I've said it and I'll keep on saying it, there is no reason the GPU should be sitting idle when it's not being used for 3D. It should be running as an OpenCL co-processor at all times and not just for Folding@Home.

My argument is what it has always been, the priorities of open source developers are completely fucked up since they seem only ever want to reinvent the wheel for the millionth time only to further fracture an already shattered platform.
                  Hi everyone, nice to meet you! I've been following Phoronix news since some time, never took the time yet to register and contribute to discussion.

The above quoted post proved to be incentive enough to do that. For that, Kivada I thank you.
                  Regarding what you said tough, I am compelled to say this is a load of crap.

Please note that I'm saying that as a single, regular user with only the basics of Linux use and administration.
                  Which means I don't really care about code quality behind (altough I accept to live with temporary regression if there are benefits long-term).
                  So, about upcoming of Plasma. I don't have the slightest idea of what it meant as technical changes. What I saw as novelties and immediate benefits as a user were...
                  - Simplicity: be it to mess with funny and useless effects, or try and build my own desktop using actually useful effects, all was much simpler. Especially with the new feature allowing to browse and install effects/widgets/backgrounds/etc with just a few mouse clicks.
                  - Reliability: it has been some years since I had last bugs or crashes relating to UI, since sometime around KDE 4.3 or smthing like that. Overall, even the widgets are less prone to crash (unless you try some newest or discontinued ones).
                  - Extensibility: some of widgets provided out-of-the-box are actually very useful once you get the idea behind (like Folder View), and while many are really superfluous I could notice that there is a large choice of more or less good widgets depending on your uses. A larger choice than before, which makes me think that maybe, it's easier now to create some widgets so people who have good ideas but less programming skills dare try.

In short: as a plain and blissfully non-savvy user, I have appreciated first-hands the benefits of the migration to Plasma (even if I still have some minor gripes with the UI in general). I shouldn't have fed the troll but I couldn't resist. Congrats to you!
                  ti

Didn't check all but the few firsts are very nice. You do have some sense of styling (at least more than me). If you don't mind, could you please tell me where you got the backgrounds of your two first screenshots? Thanks.

Comment

I fully know that, there is still no positive from a user's point of view. Big deal you made it "more maintainable" for a dev, it changed nothing for the better for the end users.

What it ends up doing, even though it's supposed to use no GPU power on a modern GPU it does however kill off all those marginal systems where the CPU and Ram are enough but the Intel or SiS or S3 GPU on the mobo is incapable of running the distro. To me this is a massive travesty for those people in poor regions even in first world countries since they cannot be moved over to Linux. Telling them to get new hardware is not an option nor is it an option for them to build old versions of X from source on Gentoo as their first ever distro.

And for those of us that have modern fast machines? Still no advantage over old desktops, you saw it with Windows Metro, KDE4 and Gnome3. People don't like them and for good reason, they are terrible user experiences. On the technical side, I've said it and I'll keep on saying it, there is no reason the GPU should be sitting idle when it's not being used for 3D. It should be running as an OpenCL co-processor at all times and not just for Folding@Home.

My argument is what it has always been, the priorities of open source developers are completely fucked up since they seem only ever want to reinvent the wheel for the millionth time only to further fracture an already shattered platform.
                    100% agreement. I have the feeling, that the developers of DE are getting bored pretty fast and always need new stunning changes. Gnome is the best example. For the time beeing I realy love the design and interface of xfce in xubuntu, its perfect. Clean, fast, easy to use, stable and pretty at the same time. Im looking forward lxqt (hopefully they wont use the abomination called oxygen).

Comment

On the technical side, I've said it and I'll keep on saying it, there is no reason the GPU should be sitting idle when it's not being used for 3D. It should be running as an OpenCL co-processor at all times and not just for Folding@Home.
                      May I humbly ask how many applications using OpenCL you have coded or worked upon?

Comment

Working...
                      X