Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plasma 2 With KDE Frameworks 5 Looks Awesome

Hybrid View

Default Plasma 2 With KDE Frameworks 5 Looks Awesome

Phoronix: Plasma 2 With KDE Frameworks 5 Looks Awesome

Sebastian Kügler of KDE has talked about progress made on Plasma 2, the port of the Plasma Workspaces desktop to using KDE Frameworks 5 that in turn works atop Qt 5. The possibilities opened up for Plasma 2 due to KDE Frameworks 5 and using an OpenGL scene-graph are impressive and awesome...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyNDI

Frameworks5 is about moving as much stuff to the CLA-land known as Qt. That is as stupid as working for free on Mir. say no to drugs and say no to CLA.

Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Frameworks5 is about moving as much stuff to the CLA-land known as Qt. That is as stupid as working for free on Mir. say no to drugs and say no to CLA.
    Plasma is LGPL only.

Why is so much effort wasted on this kind of crap? If you want to find something for the GPU to do get OpenCL working and make every app use it for a performance boost instead of wasting GPU cycles on stuff thats only amusing it you have the attention span of a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Why is so much effort wasted on this kind of crap? If you want to find something for the GPU to do get OpenCL working and make every app use it for a performance boost instead of wasting GPU cycles on stuff thats only amusing it you have the attention span of a cat.
    I think that the idea is that QML and GL scene graph offer a great basis for an efficient and maintainable desktop. They let you do important stuff easily and efficiently, and this includes compositing, notifications, desktop elements such as taskbars, etc.

The funky effects (which were hacked together in short time) are just a proof of concept, showing how easy it is.

Why is so much effort wasted on this kind of crap?
    There isn't. That just a speedily hacked together tech demo using existing Qt sample code. If you took just a minute of time to actually read the article, you would've known that!

Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    you have to be the weakest troll i've ever seen, stop it, this became just sad
    Just add him to your ignore list and STFU! Any retard replying trolly is even more annoying than the troll!

What part of "TECH DEMO" Did you not understand Kivada? It was said like 4 times in the article (not michaels, the actual one). All the video is doing is showing off what you can do with the new SceneGraph and how easy and fluid it is.

And you don't want openCL for everything-- the GUI should be done on the GPU since thats GRAPHICS, and the actual code should be done on the CPU. 2 processors doing 2 different things means neither one can lock up the other.

I see two drawbacks here:
    1. It needs a OpenGL capable GPU and(or) a driver doing as well.
    2. For now it is pure eyecandy which is nice but will this increase my personal experience, my work performance, KDE's performance, usability, stability? Will it interfere with other GPU hogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    What part of "TECH DEMO" Did you not understand Kivada? It was said like 4 times in the article (not michaels, the actual one). All the video is doing is showing off what you can do with the new SceneGraph and how easy and fluid it is.
    You missed the fact that composited desktops are a waste of system resources and that yes, all programs that can benefit in any way from getting an assist from running on the GPU should be doing so.

Plasma, like Compiz, Beryl, Fuzion and whatever the fuck else it's been named over the years is yet another example of wasted effort in endlessly rewriting something for no actual gain for the user. In many cases it's actually a detriment to the user's experience.

If only they could also make user interfaces which didn't sucked, (I don't know what I think about the tightly integrated software dependencies either) and a decent media player. JuK works fine for music but what about video? That new music player on S I haven't tried because there's no opensuse packages for it (it's not a KDE application either, but it's written with Qt at least.)

Wobbling and transparencies doesn't make a good UI.