Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qt Creator Can Be Compiled In Under 3 Minutes With Clang

Default Qt Creator Can Be Compiled In Under 3 Minutes With Clang

Phoronix: Qt Creator Can Be Compiled In Under 3 Minutes With Clang

One of LLVM's Clang compiler benefits that has long been trumpeted has been about its speedy compiler times in comparison to GCC. The latest results of using Clang with Qt Creator further reinforce the insanely fast compile times...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY5NjA

No one has learnt anything about free software in the past few years?

I think he is benchmarking building QtCreator using their default build system vs. Unity build system. Not a GCC vs. Clang build time benchmark. So the correct title should be Qt Creator Can Be Compiled In Under 3 Minutes Using Unity Build System With Clang.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post

One of LLVM's Clang compiler benefits that has long been trumpeted has been about its speedy compiler times in comparison to GCC. The latest results of using Clang with Qt Creator further reinforce the insanely fast compile times...

I think you totally missed the point here Michael. This is about so-called unity builds vs normal builds and not about clang vs gcc.

Quote Originally Posted by log0 View Post
    I think you totally missed the point here Michael. This is about so-called unity builds vs normal builds and not about clang vs gcc.
    Thank you, talk about a different topic. I was wondering what black magic voodoo he was performing to decrease the times tenfold! But what is the unity build system?

Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    Thank you, talk about a different topic. I was wondering what black magic voodoo he was performing to decrease the times tenfold! But what is the unity build system?
    The Meson build system

Unity builds are a technique for cutting down build times. The way it works is relatively straightforward. Suppose we have source files src1.c, src2.c and src3.c. Normally we would run the compiler three times, once for each file. In a unity build we instead compile all these sources in a single unit.
    This is then compiled rather than the individual files. The exact speedup depends on the code base, of course, but it is not uncommon to obtain more than 50% speedup in compile times.
    The downside is that incremental builds are as slow as full rebuilds (because that is what they are). Unity compiles also use more memory, which may become an issue in certain scenarios.

So...what are the times with GCC and Meson unity builds?

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post

Another crapple sponsored article? Get your facts straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    I normally build it in 4 minutes using icecream, so I was assuming he was just enjoying cool icecream like any sane developer.

Error: too many overloads for 'unity'
    Error: no definition found for 'unity'

Seriously, what's with having to pick new marketing names for old things, and ungooglable names at that?

For google: Unity builds = amalgamation = cat *.c > bigfile.c