Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Qt Creator Can Be Compiled In Under 3 Minutes With Clang

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,646

    Default Qt Creator Can Be Compiled In Under 3 Minutes With Clang

    Phoronix: Qt Creator Can Be Compiled In Under 3 Minutes With Clang

    One of LLVM's Clang compiler benefits that has long been trumpeted has been about its speedy compiler times in comparison to GCC. The latest results of using Clang with Qt Creator further reinforce the insanely fast compile times...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY5NjA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    101

    Default

    No one has learnt anything about free software in the past few years?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    204

    Default

    I think he is benchmarking building QtCreator using their default build system vs. Unity build system. Not a GCC vs. Clang build time benchmark. So the correct title should be Qt Creator Can Be Compiled In Under 3 Minutes Using Unity Build System With Clang.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Qt Creator Can Be Compiled In Under 3 Minutes With Clang

    One of LLVM's Clang compiler benefits that has long been trumpeted has been about its speedy compiler times in comparison to GCC. The latest results of using Clang with Qt Creator further reinforce the insanely fast compile times...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY5NjA
    I think you totally missed the point here Michael. This is about so-called unity builds vs normal builds and not about clang vs gcc.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by log0 View Post
    I think you totally missed the point here Michael. This is about so-called unity builds vs normal builds and not about clang vs gcc.
    Thank you, talk about a different topic. I was wondering what black magic voodoo he was performing to decrease the times tenfold! But what is the unity build system?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    Thank you, talk about a different topic. I was wondering what black magic voodoo he was performing to decrease the times tenfold! But what is the unity build system?
    The Meson build system

    Unity builds are a technique for cutting down build times. The way it works is relatively straightforward. Suppose we have source files src1.c, src2.c and src3.c. Normally we would run the compiler three times, once for each file. In a unity build we instead compile all these sources in a single unit.
    This is then compiled rather than the individual files. The exact speedup depends on the code base, of course, but it is not uncommon to obtain more than 50% speedup in compile times.
    The downside is that incremental builds are as slow as full rebuilds (because that is what they are). Unity compiles also use more memory, which may become an issue in certain scenarios.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    138

    Default

    So...what are the times with GCC and Meson unity builds?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Qt Creator Can Be Compiled In Under 3 Minutes With Clang

    One of LLVM's Clang compiler benefits that has long been trumpeted has been about its speedy compiler times in comparison to GCC. The latest results of using Clang with Qt Creator further reinforce the insanely fast compile times...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY5NjA
    Another crapple sponsored article? Get your facts straight.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    Thank you, talk about a different topic. I was wondering what black magic voodoo he was performing to decrease the times tenfold! But what is the unity build system?
    I normally build it in 4 minutes using icecream, so I was assuming he was just enjoying cool icecream like any sane developer.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,333

    Default

    Error: too many overloads for 'unity'
    Error: no definition found for 'unity'

    Seriously, what's with having to pick new marketing names for old things, and ungooglable names at that?

    For google: Unity builds = amalgamation = cat *.c > bigfile.c

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •