Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Audio Editing Is Better With Ardour 3.0

Hybrid View

Default Linux Audio Editing Is Better With Ardour 3.0

Phoronix: Linux Audio Editing Is Better With Ardour 3.0

The high-end open-source audio workstation software Ardour is up to version 3.0. Ardour 3.0 features many improvements to this GPLv2+ software...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyMzk

No KLANG support? Lol

Default Too late but better than nothing

It has been over a year since development work for 3.0 version started. This version packs many differences and improvements from the 2.x and has been long waited for. The release seems like a premature one (the buglist on the roadmap for 3.0 was %60 or so fixed) to attract more user feedback and possible developer contribution. So we may call it betaish. But I hope all remaining problems will be sorted out and we will have a fully stable ardour 3.x in the coming months. Good work ardour team!
    Last edited by glxextxexlg; 03-12-2013 at 06:05 AM.

I'm currently using Reaper and I'm afraid to use Ardour. What if they decide that VST support is not a good idea and decide to remove it? This will leave people in the cold after they've invested considerable time in their Ardour projects.

Quote Originally Posted by glxextxexlg View Post
    It has been over a year since development work for 3.0 version started. This version packs many differences and improvements from the 2.x and has been long waited for. The release seems like a premature one (the buglist on the roadmap for 3.0 was %60 or so fixed) to attract more user feedback and possible developer contribution. So we may call it betaish. But I hope all remaining problems will be sorted out and we will have a fully stable ardour 3.x in the coming months. Good work ardour team!
    Who is that "we" that may call it betaish, and why are you talking for them?

And btw, "over a year since development started"? You bet! MIDI tracks have been in the works since 2006. So it's safe to say that it's at least 7 years in the works It's also pretty stable.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    I'm currently using Reaper and I'm afraid to use Ardour. What if they decide that VST support is not a good idea and decide to remove it? This will leave people in the cold after they've invested considerable time in their Ardour projects.
    Which VST support? There's Linux VST support that was added by a developer from linuxDSP who is a good friend of Paul. It's very stable and reliable. And then there's Windows VST support via WINE that's never going to be stable and hence isn't available by default. Make your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by prokoudine View Post
    Which VST support? There's Linux VST support that was added by a developer from linuxDSP who is a good friend of Paul. It's very stable and reliable. And then there's Windows VST support via WINE that's never going to be stable and hence isn't available by default. Make your choice.
    Oh. I didn't know that it can't run Windows VSTs (I didn't even know that VSTs can be Linux-specific at all.) Well, not a choice at all then I guess. Sticking with Reaper.

Oh. I didn't know that it can't run Windows VSTs...
    You are an amazingly selective reader.

Quote Originally Posted by prokoudine View Post
    Not to mention that if you want Windows VST support in Ardour, the build must be 32-bit. Which kind of sucks when you are running a 64bit OS. i've only toyed around with ardour-VST, but i find it easier to just run Windows VSTs outside of / into Ardour-3.0. It's a little extra setup, but not much. (midi-out from ardour channel -> VSTi + VSTi audio into ardour channel). ~ this also gives the benefit where if a VST did crash, this has zero effect on Ardour. but generally, i won't use any buggy VSTs.

As far as stability of (windows) VSTs, as long as wine can run them - they generally tend to be pretty stable, with a couple of caveats; 1. not all VSTs are created equal, thus some are buggy 2. not all VSTs run well in wine 3. upstream wine isn't well-suited for proaudio for various reasons.... for the best stability / performance vanilla/upstream wine really isn't all that suitable, you need to be using various other patchsets with it and/or wine-l-pa. ~ generally, the VSTi's that i tend to use are as good (if not WAY better) than any 'native' VSTs available for linux. and by better, i mean in terms of stability, features, sound engine, flexibility, reliability.

I do like Ardour a lot. I didn't mean to criticize it as being a bad DAW. What I'm saying is that without thorough Windows VST support, it's not going to be used much.
    You do realize that you can just run windows VSTs outside of Ardour-3.0, right? (but still use Ardour to control / process audio).

One of Jack's biggest features is interoperability between applications. I use N.I kontakt 5 for most of my drum sounds (loading my battery 3 kits, mostly) and map my (multi-)channels from kontakt into Ardour. it works great. Likewise, when i feel like recording some 'keys', i just load up XYZ VSTi, setup my channel in Ardour ~ and record...In my case, i am using FSThost to wrap .dll/vst into a standalone app. FSThost supports jack_session, so it's not like you can't save your sessions/routing/settings for recall (for a project) later. (likewise, i am sure Non-session-manager could work well for this too).

but i can also appreciate why people use Reaper - since it is an easier setup / just one app. I have Reaper to, but mostly just use it for testing purposes with wine-l-pa.

cheerz

It has been over a year since development work for 3.0 version started.
    No, it was originally expected to be released around 2009 after already being years into development. Ardour 3 was the Duke Nukem Forever of audio software.

btw if this release opens the way to a native reaper release for linux then ardour will fulfill its duty.
    No, Reaper on Linux will be a fail. They've realized that WINE sucks, so they're hoping some generous developer will come fix their "native" Linux port, which in fact just wraps Windows system calls as Linux system calls. They don't even care enough to do the works themselves, I guarantee you that it will never amount to anything.

who cares about paul's monthly income from ardour being hardly enough to keep him developing and mindless zealots that follow him (while the development is soo slow?) development of ardour is slow because paul davis has set up a system that every donation or subscription is paid directly to him and not distributed among developers fairly. as a result no clever developer helps him finish the job only mindless zealots do
    x1000. What other project brings in so much money in donations, while the lead developer publicly cries about how it's not enough and how development may not be able to continue. Did he ever stop to think that Ardour isn't worth paying for? Harrison Consoles "borrows" Ardour's source code and adds their DSP to make Harrison Mixbus for Window,s Linux and Mac, and they only sell it for $45 because if they priced it any higher, nobody would buy it. I think Harrison's DSP accounts for about $44 of the total value there, take that out and you're left with a basic recording software that fails badly once you start to do more than recording.

It will never be suitable for more than recording, the front page or Ardour.org says it all:

Being the best tool to record talented performers on actual instruments has always been a top priority for Ardour. Rather than being focused on electronic and pop music idioms, Ardour steps out of the way to encourage the creative process to remain where it always has been: a musician playing a carefully designed and well built instrument.
    So there you have it, only Led Zeppelin tribute bands and snooty Beethoven wannabes and other outdated traditional genres are real musicians according to Ardour.

Quote Originally Posted by porkbutt View Post

So there you have it, only Led Zeppelin tribute bands and snooty Beethoven wannabes and other outdated traditional genres are real musicians according to Ardour.
    Why should anyone care about the abomination called music that exists today. Real music is acoustic and usually lack nerv-wracking singers.