XRandR Equivalent Published For Wayland, Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Why would you want to change a resolution anyway? You should rather be able to configure what is the native resolution of each screen and never change that. All fullscreen programs that want a resolution change should just be rescaled to the native resolution automatically. Maybe you should be able to set whether the aspect ratio should be kept (i.e. letterboxing) or whether to stretch. But that's about it.

I believe sdl2 does this on X and I believe I have it already seen with some valve games and it just feels so nice. Finally sane fullscreen and resolution handling.
    That sounds sane to me. Fullscreen apps should never ask for a larger resolution than your display is currently set to anyway, because it's likely already at the native resolution of the display. If they ask for a lower resolution, then scaling/stretching or (letter)boxing are perfectly reasonable. The user should be the only one who ever requests (and is granted) a different resolution, and ideally he shouldn't even have to do that (but we all know the ideal isn't always reality).

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
      Why would you want to change a resolution anyway? You should rather be able to configure what is the native resolution of each screen and never change that. All fullscreen programs that want a resolution change should just be rescaled to the native resolution automatically. Maybe you should be able to set whether the aspect ratio should be kept (i.e. letterboxing) or whether to stretch. But that's about it.

I believe sdl2 does this on X and I believe I have it already seen with some valve games and it just feels so nice. Finally sane fullscreen and resolution handling.
      Could it be that somebody has a CRT?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        No .

Comment

Maybe. Could it be that a caveman invented time travel?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            Maybe. Could it be that a caveman invented time travel?
            Og busy. Og invent fire yesterday, wheel the day before. What Og invent today?

Og know! Og show future folk how a lag-free display scalable to any resolution within limits work.

/me still has several CRTs around.

Comment

Og busy. Og invent fire yesterday, wheel the day before. What Og invent today?

Og know! Og show future folk how a lag-free display scalable to any resolution within limits work.

/me still has several CRTs around.
              CRTs were horrible. I'm glad we got rid of those monstrosities. Spend a night staring at one and they'll kill your eyes. The scalability is pointless as well because of their crappy resolutions and bad refresh rates.

Personally I wish plasma monitors would make a comeback.

Comment

Should be the same regardless of whether you have a CRT or LCD. Why would you want your desktop running at a lower resolution than a game? If you want to run a game at 1600x1200 or more, it should be reasonable to expect you to want your desktop at that resolution too. The desktop environment should be smart enough to scale elements and text to fit the higher resolution, if that is the concern. I couldn't imagine any other reason not to, anyway.

Comment

Re: elaborate ruse?

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Why would they do the coding then? Mir's repo has code going back months
                  Hey, don't shoot the messenger! I'm just a man asking questions.

Comment

I had enough of it with crashing games and/or bad drivers on Linux that left me with a crappy desktop at super low/broken res.

Comment

I don't use a CRT anymore but I would have still wanted no application changing the resolution that I chose as the best resolution to display stuff.

This stuff was always problematic, especially when having more than one monitor. Currently postal2 in steam still has a problem that it doesn't respect your setting whether to start in fullscreen or not. The result is that I really don't want to play it, because every time I start it it disables my second monitor when setting the resolution and going to fullscreen. Why would a game do that?

Comment

Working...
                      X