Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GhostBSD 3.0 Lets You Relive GNOME 2 On BSD

Phoronix: GhostBSD 3.0 Lets You Relive GNOME 2 On BSD

GhostBSD 3.0 is a BSD operating system derived from FreeBSD. What sets this apart from FreeBSD and the KDE-based PC-BSD is that it's shipping with the GNOME 2.x desktop environment. Openbox and LXDE are also available for this BSD OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Go away, Linsux fanboy.

Comment

I don't get it. If you prefer using Gnome 2 then ship your distro with MATE or Cinamon - don't use dated technology!

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
        I don't get it. If you prefer using Gnome 2 then ship your distro with MATE or Cinamon - don't use dated technology!
        Cinnamon isn't GNOME2, and MATE is about as dated as GNOME2.

Comment

lol, Linux Guys fight about whether it is wise when a multi-million-users/dollars distro develops an own display server, and meanwhile in the bsd camp, some people fork their entire OS for the sake of having an outdated user interface by default, and nobody seems to actually care about that and the Linux guys are instead reunited in their hate (?) for bsd.

Comment

Necrophiliacs ftw.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              The BSD freaks don't think. If they did they wouldn't use BSD. They would use the vastly superior Linux.
              At least with FreeBSD I can still boot to it using their latest kernel. I have not been able to in Linux since the 3.5 series. Still can't now with 3.8.2

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
              some people fork their entire OS for the sake of having an outdated user interface by default
              It was forked for user-friendliness. PC-BSD is bloated and new users don't want a text-based distro *not to mention, don't know how to install a new interface*

Also, Gnome3 hasn't been put in yet due to it requiring some GNU/Linux only stuff. While it is still possible, it is not recommended for being... buggy at best.

Still, at least all the other ones like KDE, LXDE, XFCE, Xmonad, etc. are up to date ;P

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
                lol, Linux Guys fight about whether it is wise when a multi-million-users/dollars distro develops an own display server, and meanwhile in the bsd camp, some people fork their entire OS for the sake of having an outdated user interface by default, and nobody seems to actually care about that and the Linux guys are instead reunited in their hate (?) for bsd.
                Well, if you are using hardware that doesn't have 3D acceleration support, using LLVMpipe instead is a terribly slow experience.
                And if you want to use Gnome Shell, Cinnamon or any desktop environment from the same family, if you don't have 3D acceleration you will be using LLVMpipe.
                So I can see why they did it from that point of view.

Comment

Tell them about your problem!
                  Well I did submit a kernel bug report: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54191

Dunno much else I can do ^.^"

Comment

Tell them about your problem!
                    Well I did submit a bug report: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54191

That's about as much as I know how to do ^.^"

Comment

Working...
                    X