Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux On Intel's X48 Chipset

Phoronix: Linux On Intel's X48 Chipset

While Intel's X48 Express Chipset is not due out until the middle of March -- after having faced a few delays reaching production -- the kind folks at Gigabyte have today provided us with the Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 motherboard. This motherboard is similar to the Gigabyte X38-DQ6 that we reviewed last October, but it employs the new X48 Express MCH and the revised feature-set that this chipset brings to the hands of enthusiasts. This is our first Intel X48 motherboard review and the world's first look at this new flagship chipset under Linux. In this review of the Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 we will be comparing it to Intel's current P35 and X38 motherboards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice board, but I don't think a Linux user could use the advanced features. These would be only crossfire with 2 x 16 pci-e 2.0 lanes instead of 2 x 8 pci-e 1.1. The benchmarks used are more or less only depending on some bios settings - slightly different ram or fsb setting and you get those differences. Only crossfire on win would be a more interesting test - but as ati drivers have got no support for that and Linux you can stay with P35 until P45 is out. FSB 400 quadpumped is no problem for current boards in oc mode, so why should new cpus require more than just a bios update? When you think that some cheap boards even with chipsets like 945 are used for current core 2 cpus then X48 is really overkill just for that purpose.

Comment

Good article on the X48 board- and just in time for me, as I'm thinking about building myself a new system. I'm planing to get a Intel Core2 Quad Q9450 and had an eye on the X48 boards already. But after reading the article I came to the conclusion that I can just as well get myself a X38 board and save some money.

Thanks!

Comment

I heard ICH10 was coming out with an integrated TPM. Hopefully those are just rumors though.

Comment

BIOS settings

Hello may the good people at Phoronix be so kind to give us more infos on available BIOS settings when they review a new board like that.

I have particular interest in virtualization, so I always want to know if a MB BIOS will have the:
          "enable VT" option available, because when it is BIOS locked, it cannot be forced on by the OS, and the CPU feature is unavailable.

A report from booting http://linuxfirmwarekit.org ISO image would be cool
          Last edited by VinceLe; 22 April 2019, 02:16 PM. Reason: grammar fix

Comment

Working...
          X