KDE Can Now Start A Heck Of A Lot Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    But the problem is, why does KDE start slower than say Gnome in the first place? It's a welcome addition but why was KDE plagued by this issue for these many years in the first place?
    Probably because no dev prioritized it before Nicoletti fixed it. As I understanded the blog the old solution was pretty old.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
      Probably because no dev prioritized it before Nicoletti fixed it. As I understanded the blog the old solution was pretty old.
      well there actually has been other work see Aaron's comment here http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2013/01/plasma-active-4.html on startactive which is a systemd based solution, so there has been playing around with that otherwise but yeah...

Comment

This is awesome. I always wondered why KDE took so much longer to start than other desktops, and I'm really glad it's being improved. I've been quite happy with KDE for a while, but if there was one thing I disliked, it was how long it took to log in. The new system is definitely a ton faster. I'm really looking forward to using it in the future.
        Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
        Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          But the problem is, why does KDE start slower than say Gnome in the first place? It's a welcome addition but why was KDE plagued by this issue for these many years in the first place?
          No ones touched the code in years, as Aaron Seigo said on his blog (link on his blog a couple comments below yours, search for "startactive" and its his comment). It was "Good enough" and worked well enough and stable and relative bug free so people said "Dont touch it!" But now people are going back and saying "well yeah, its been 'good enough'...but can we do better?" and the answer is yes, and the work is being done.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            well there actually has been other work see Aaron's comment here http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2013/01/plasma-active-4.html on startactive which is a systemd based solution, so there has been playing around with that otherwise but yeah...
            But they don't deploy that today, and even in the future they can only use it on linux system with systemd (as Aron say in the blog comment). The author of sessionk use Kubuntu.

Comment

They should rename it ksession (replacing ksmserver) to be consistent with the naming convention for other KDE components.

Comment

Love this

Alway have dreaded the login process. Only took a couple seconds here.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                  But they don't deploy that today, and even in the future they can only use it on linux system with systemd (as Aron say in the blog comment). The author of sessionk use Kubuntu.
                  true, I was just adding on to your response to Bo$$, pointing out that it's not like systemk has been the only effort to work in that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by asim75 View Post
                    Has anyone made a test on mechanical discs ?
                    Seeing as 99% of the general user world is on non-SSD drives you'd think this site would want to see just how fast a real world session is or is not.

Then again, every test seems to be done on SSD drives and proclaimed a great success or failure when the results come in.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X