Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Can Now Start A Heck Of A Lot Faster

Phoronix: KDE Can Now Start A Heck Of A Lot Faster

At the end of February, Sessionk was announced, a new component that's capable of allowing the KDE Plasma desktop to start-up a heck of a lot faster...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too slow

Still too slow!

Comment

I don't even find it very important that desktop starts fast. I start the desktop very rarely anyways. Maybe once every couple of days so a few seconds here doesn't mean so much anyways. And from the usal suspend it starts instantly anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Still too slow!
        Just downloaded, compiled and installed this on Arch (thank you AUR lol)

It registers itself as a new session if you're wondering "How do i use it?"

Log in, first log in may be a little buggy / glitching (systray's icons were jumping around a bit and 2 overlapped.) Wait for things to settle down, logout, relogin in, and everything was fine on this laptop. You don't get the plasma splash screen, which is okay to me because the full desktop loads in about 2seconds on this SSD. Weirdly, some systray icons use the stock plain grey/white icons, and some have full color icons...not sure why, though I'm not complaining because i actually LIKE the full color icons.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: KDE Can Now Start A Heck Of A Lot Faster

At the end of February, Sessionk was announced, a new component that's capable of allowing the KDE Plasma desktop to start-up a heck of a lot faster...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyMjk
          sweet !

already had forgotten about razor-qt

will give it a try now

OT:

startup of the desktop can't be fast enough - so: will give this a try, too & see whether I can get used to qt-based desktops again (xfce + nemo/nautilus 3.4* right now is nonplusultra for me)

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Log in, first log in may be a little buggy / glitching (systray's icons were jumping around a bit and 2 overlapped.) Wait for things to settle down, logout, relogin in, and everything was fine on this laptop. You don't get the plasma splash screen, which is okay to me because the full desktop loads in about 2seconds on this SSD. Weirdly, some systray icons use the stock plain grey/white icons, and some have full color icons...not sure why, though I'm not complaining because i actually LIKE the full color icons.
            Interesting. That's what the developer thought, as written in his blog. It takes 7 seconds on an HDD, but should only take 2 on an SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Are you on systemd also?

What is whole startup time than?

Comment

Hehe

Lately KDE looks like a saviour to these who want good FOSS DE IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                  Are you on systemd also?

What is whole startup time than?
                  I am, ill check when I get home.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Has anyone made a test on mechanical discs ?
                    Last edited by asim75; 09 March 2013, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X