Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS 6.4 Gets Released

Phoronix: CentOS 6.4 Gets Released

Less than one month after Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 was released, the CentOS offshoot is now out with its 6.4 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

does anyone know how the rhel desktop/workstation editions are limited compared to centos? on their site it says only 4gigs of memory is supported, which if true is a major issue for me. i wouldnt be against supporting rhel with some money for their great contributions towards the linux community, ive been using centos for a while now as my main desktop actually and i wouldnt mind switching to rhel if it wouldnt limit me in any way
    Last edited by AnorexiasGrizzli; 09 March 2013, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnorexiasGrizzli View Post
      does anyone know how the rhel desktop/workstation editions are limited compared to centos? on their site it says only 4gigs of memory is supported, which if true is a major issue for me. i wouldnt be against supporting rhel with some money for their great contributions towards the linux community, ive been using centos for a while now as my main desktop actually and i wouldnt mind switching to rhel if it wouldnt limit me in any way
      I wouldn't use rhel if I was you, except if your a developer, it mostly is an enterprise product only, has the licensing is just too troublesome for anyone not making a professional use.

Giving a contribution (mostly your time) to one of the project they support would be a better idea if you ask me. (It not like they themselves need a tip from regular user, they are the biggest business based exclusively around Linux after all)

Has for the memory basic desktop license is limited to 8GB, workstation license is unlimited from their datasheet. Link to the datasheet pdf.
      Last edited by iniudan; 09 March 2013, 07:46 PM. Reason: changed donation to contribution

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
        I wouldn't use rhel if I was you, except if your a developer, it mostly is an enterprise product only, has the licensing is just too troublesome for anyone not making a professional use.

Giving a contribution (mostly your time) to one of the project they support would be a better idea if you ask me. (It not like they themselves need a tip from regular user, they are the biggest business based exclusively around Linux after all)

Has for the memory basic desktop license is limited to 8GB, workstation license is unlimited from their datasheet. Link to the datasheet pdf.
        yes it seems like it did change since i last checked, so the workstation one may be a good choice for me after all (i have 16gigs), and i am a developer, but theres one more limitation then: "Maximum virtualized guests/instances", which is still 1 for the workstation edition and i usually have quite a few running, altho im still unsure what limit that is exactly because it doesnt mention, which virtualization software they include... as i can probably just download virtualbox/vmware/whatever and their limitation wouldnt apply there... redhat should seriously work on their datasheets as they arent very clear at all...

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
          I wouldn't use rhel if I was you, except if your a developer, it mostly is an enterprise product only, has the licensing is just too troublesome for anyone not making a professional use.[/URL]
          Actually, we use CentOS for the developer machines at work. The release testing and production machines use licensed RedHat, but the developers use the equivalent CentOS version...

Comment

Working...
          X