Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, in short:

- Canonical creates Mir.
    - Canonical announces move to Qt for Unity, expects that upstream will accept patchsets that provide Mir support for Qt
    - Cannonical expects Mesa to upstream their custom patches to make it Mir-compatible
    - Martin declared that they will never accept distro-specific patches just to support Mir and essentially told Canonical to sod off.

Now, how long will we need to wait before Mesa tells Canonical the same thing?

PS: This is getting old. Although I have a nagging feeling Mir might emerge the victor if only because Nvidia already appears to be in the process of supporting Mir with their proprietary blob.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
      I'll bet you anything that Canonical is planning on running Google's Android patchset for the linux kernel and on top of that is going to be running Android device drivers...
      and marketing all of this as their own.

If Google doesn't swat Canonical like a fly, then they are doing so for a reason and not due to oversight.

Comment

i really hope people could get around it and boycott this mess. the only technical merit in mir is android drivers and it would be less work to add that functionality to wayland than waste manpower on writing another display server. if you really think about it, the proof is in the pudding. if either upstart or unity were good solutions don't you think other distros would have adopted it? i think mir would follow the same path.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
          i really hope people could get around it and boycott this mess. the only technical merit in mir is android drivers and it would be less work to add that functionality to wayland than waste manpower on writing another display server. if you really think about it, the proof is in the pudding. if either upstart or unity were good solutions don't you think other distros would have adopted it? i think mir would follow the same path.
          Not true, at least 4 different distributions attempted to adopt Unity, although some eventually abandoned it because of the crazy amount of out-of-tree patches that had to be made to the vanilla GTK3 stack in order to get it working.

Fedora initially considered porting Unity but (predictably) rejected it because it does not meet its upstream policy, Frugalware tried to support it but eventually abandoned their efforts on maintaining it. OpenSUSE also ported Unity initially and eventually gave up with maintaining the patches although it seems that a new maintainer is now working on doing so.

And of course, ArchLinux has everything, including Unity.

Unfirtuantely, Canonical might actually succeed with Mir if only because they are already in the process of seducing AMD and NVIDIA to port their blobs over to support Mir. As much as I wish Mir will fail badly as well chances are it will be Wayland that loses this little competition; if that happens, I can only hope all the other distros will eventually come around and provide Mir support. If we have to be stuck with an inferior display server that is Mir, at least make everyone use it so that compatibility issues are eliminated.
          Last edited by Sonadow; 09 March 2013, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            o.O No its not. Go back a few articles and michael listed the "TODO" List for Mir. it was massive, and filled with a LOT of hardwork and NONE of Canonicals devs have any experience with the low level stuff. Wayland is basically usable now. I specifically asked Daniel Stone when Wayland would be considered "usable" and he said "If you like XCFE...its usable now." Meaning, minimal environments are done. KDE and GNOME have to be ported over still, KDE will happen when Frameworks 5 hits which hopefully will be this year. Gnome is currently ported off an old version of wayland, but is being worked on.
            Wayland come an long end and is looking good. But its not even close to being rich enough for even XFCE. Wayland does not even have minimize/maximize enabled. Just read that here on phoronix, but there are enough other examples.

My hope is on wayland, but I expect Mir wil be the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
              Wayland come an long end and is looking good. But its not even close to being rich enough for even XFCE. Wayland does not even have minimize/maximize enabled. Just read that here on phoronix, but there are enough other examples.

My hope is on wayland, but I expect Mir wil be the winner.

WHAT ?!?

Not even minimize and maximize are working under XFCE with Wayland ?!?

How can Wayland defenders say that it's usable if that even that "simple"/basic things are not working....even with XFCE ?!?

Everybody knows that i'm not exactly a UBUNTU fanboy but it seems to me that Wayland as still a loooooooonnnnnng way to go to be considered usable.

"Usable" w/o even Minimize and Maximize....i could even if it wasn't so

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                WHAT ?!?

How can Wayland defenders say that it's usable if that even that "simple"/basic things are not working....even with XFCE ?!?

Everybody knows that i'm not exactly a UBUNTU fanboy but it seems to me that Wayland as still a loooooooonnnnnng way to go to be considered usable.

"Usable" w/o even Minimize and Maximize....i could even if it wasn't so
                Purely personal opinion, but I stopped minimizing and maximizing windows ever since OS X's Expose was cloned in Compiz, KWin, Gnome 3 (for Linux) and third-party tools (for Windows) and I find that I'm much more productive than before.

YMMV, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  WHAT ?!?

Who has said that it is usable for everyday use? I have read every post on every thread on the subject and don't recall seeing anyone say that. I might have missed it in a post or two, but it is hardly a common sentiment here. They said it has had a stable release, has a stable API, and actually has something running, none of which Mir has. But nobody has said that everything it needs is present.

It has many, if not most, of the features that are needed, but certainly not all. If it did, it would be done, which nobody has claimed. This is in contrast to Mir, which has essentially none of the features.

That being said, phones don't need this, so it probably won't affect Tizen.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    What a sad joke is Wayland. How can you defend it even when after all these years of development they don't have basic features? Canonical got tired of waiting for these losers and said fuck it we're doing it our way. That is all that is happening.
                    So instead of just implementing the additional features they needed in an existing code-base, they instead decided to re-implement all the existing features AND planning as well? Yeah, that is going to speed things up a lot...

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                      What a sad joke is Wayland. How can you defend it even when after all these years of development they don't have basic features? Canonical got tired of waiting for these losers and said fuck it we're doing it our way. That is all that is happening.
                      LOL. Ubuntu fanbois are like Apple fanbois, they totally lack knowledge yet the make the most noise...

Comment

Working...
                      X