Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWin On Mir: A Solution To Non-Existent Problem

Phoronix: KWin On Mir: A Solution To Non-Existent Problem

While Mark Shuttleworth seems to think that KDE/KWin will end up running on the Mir Display Server, even though the KWin maintainer has already said he won't accept any patches even if they are written, the display server / compositing manager battles continue...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We don't need no water,
    Let the motherfscker burn.

BURN MOTHERFSCKER,
    BURN!

Comment

oh snap.

If Canonical keeps up with Mir and if it manages to become more successful than Wayland, it does get me to wonder what devs like Martin will do or say when they realize they might have to join. While I think Martin makes an excellent point, I don't think Mir is that bad; lets put it in this way - it's more complete than Wayland and it'll offer Android drivers, but it isn't as clunky and obsolete as X. Really the only serious problem with Mir (that I can see) is getting devs to port everything to it when they already are in the process of that for Wayland. In other words, I think Mir pisses off devs because it's too late. I'm sure if it existed BEFORE wayland then it would get the same positive attention as wayland, minus the few people who hate canonical just because they want to hate canonical.

Comment

OT: My favorite conversation about nVidia....

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          oh snap.

If Canonical keeps up with Mir and if it manages to become more successful than Wayland, it does get me to wonder what devs like Martin will do or say when they realize they might have to join. While I think Martin makes an excellent point, I don't think Mir is that bad; lets put it in this way - it's more complete than Wayland and it'll offer Android drivers, but it isn't as clunky and obsolete as X. Really the only serious problem with Mir (that I can see) is getting devs to port everything to it when they already are in the process of that for Wayland. In other words, I think Mir pisses off devs because it's too late. I'm sure if it existed BEFORE wayland then it would get the same positive attention as wayland, minus the few people who hate canonical just because they want to hate canonical.
          In what way is it more complete than Wayland? If Mir existed before Wayland, Wayland wouldn't exist. The whole reason it pisses everyone off is because it splits the community needlessly. But the thing is that Wayland came into existance, then for some reason, Ubuntu made claims that they would go with Wayland, even while they were secretly developing Mir and planning this garbage montage the entire time. This must be the most pointless waste of time I've ever seen and does nothing but delay hope of proprietary support in something other than X.

In addition, if Mir does become popular with proprietary support, do you honestly believe I'll switch from my current distro to some other distro I'm not familiar with just because it chose to monopolize a display server unnecessarily? I'd sooner move to Windows.

Comment

I don't think Mir is that bad; lets put it in this way - it's more complete than Wayland
            Mir doesn't have anything functional yet, it's basically just a sparkle in Shuttleworth's eye at this point. Wayland is already at 1.0 with a stable API and has a working reference implementation. In what universe does this make Mir MORE complete???

Comment

"Mir is an answer to a question nobody asked. It’s a solution to problem which does not exist."

aha, so why they started wayland then? there exists a problem and actually i do not remember anybody denying it... till now.

while wayland currently is at best a candidate for a solution who has the right do deny others a different try to provide a solution?

that sentence i cited is the most arrogant one i heared for a long time.

Comment

oh snap.

He did leave the door open for that. He said he did not accept patches if MIR was not used on many distributions outside of Ubuntu. At least in the first blog. But he didn't think it was especially likely.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
                  "Mir is an answer to a question nobody asked. It?s a solution to problem which does not exist."

aha, so why they started wayland then? there exists a problem and actually i do not remember anybody denying it... till now.

while wayland currently is at best a candidate for a solution who has the right do deny others a different try to provide a solution?

that sentence i cited is the most arrogant one i heared for a long time.
                  I think it was because Shuttlewoth announced kwin soon should work with MIR that trigged the response. Apparently Canonical have never contributed anything in kwin.

Comment

While I think Martin makes an excellent point, I don't think Mir is that bad; lets put it in this way - it's more complete than Wayland
                    o.O No its not. Go back a few articles and michael listed the "TODO" List for Mir. it was massive, and filled with a LOT of hardwork and NONE of Canonicals devs have any experience with the low level stuff. Wayland is basically usable now. I specifically asked Daniel Stone when Wayland would be considered "usable" and he said "If you like XCFE...its usable now." Meaning, minimal environments are done. KDE and GNOME have to be ported over still, KDE will happen when Frameworks 5 hits which hopefully will be this year. Gnome is currently ported off an old version of wayland, but is being worked on.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X