No announcement yet.

KWin On Mir: A Solution To Non-Existent Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL u are just like that other brainless buntutard, can't remember his name. ef8 something.

Comment

fragmentation is a problem...reminds me of little children wanting this and that

but kde is fading away as well

why not everbody agree on a single standard!

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
        but kde is fading away as well
        How did you come to that conclusion?

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
          Mir hasn't been doing a very good job at showing where Wayland is broken, but I think a key point that people are missing is that Mir might be able to work with proprietary Android blob drivers which would be critical to getting Mir to run on other smartphones other than the Ubuntu phone. Providing people the option to run Mir on their other devices, even if the manufacturer doesn't support it, sounds pretty interesting to me.

Does Wayland ever plan to get proprietary Android binary blob drivers working with their display servers? Especially considering that Android's linux kernel has a patchset that still hasn't been merged into mainline linux... I doubt it.
          From what I understand, the amount of work still required to make Mir or Wayland compatible with Android drivers is... exactly the same. That's because they have the same basic architecture and are both EGL based. As said many time, Wayland has been ported to Android last year as a proof of concept, to show that even if they didn't aimed for it, it would still be easy.

As such, the people complaining are not missing much, and you're spreading BS.

Comment

Originally posted by j2723 View Post
            How did you come to that conclusion?
            It can't possibly be successful if it isn't following Shuttleworth's decrees, can it?

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
              it feels here like a big kindagarden. it really makes me sad seeing how the linux community changed. it sounds as if former window users are hopping on linux now and are whining about every thing what made linux different in the past.
              I thought that was Canoncal's supposed virtue? It is interesting seeing attempt to be used as a defence.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              If you all think im really that wrong then how do you explain that canonical got that X nested mir working like 2 days after announcing their plans?
              Then what were they doing for the past nine months then?

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                I'm not completely sure but I think Collabora had wayland running on android with android driver a year ago or something.
                Almost a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  So, you prefer to support some proprietary crap that still has monopoly rather than Ubuntu or other distro that uses MIR? It's a damn hypocrisy. For now, I won't use Ubuntu and I support Wayland, but if it succeeds with MIR I'll use it. To be clear I want MIR and upstart to die, but I can change my opinion in the future.
                  If my choice is going to be forced, I'd rather be on an OS that has the support anyways. One of the main reasons I use Linux in general is because I have choice. I currently use Arch Linux... if Mir claims to begin using distro-specific mechanism via Ubuntu, do you honestly believe that I'm inclined to move from my rolling release distro that I've used for 4+ years because of a display server? I will ammend my previous comment though since it was a bit radical... I'd sooner stay with Xorg or go to Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                    From what I understand, the amount of work still required to make Mir or Wayland compatible with Android drivers is... exactly the same. That's because they have the same basic architecture and are both EGL based. As said many time, Wayland has been ported to Android last year as a proof of concept, to show that even if they didn't aimed for it, it would still be easy.
                    Except Mir duplicated the work Wayland already achieved. The case is NIH syndrome from Canonical since Mir was done in secret for nine months without ever contacting Wayland developers (majority of them are Xorg developers themselves) and spread FUD on them. The Mir project is all about control from Canonical, nothing more.

Comment

more complete?

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      it's more complete than Wayland
                      That is patently false, and I would suggest you read both code bases, compile them and try them out before making such statements.

Wayland is a working system right now, complete with a shell and ports of all the major toolkits. Go to Youtube and see the numerous videos showing it on action on various devices if you wish more evidence.

Comment

Working...
                      X